The University of Wyoming invites diverse applicants to consider our employment opportunities. We are also especially interested in candidates who have experience working with diverse populations and/or diverse initiatives.
The University of Wyoming Art Museum seeks an energetic and enthusiastic Assistant Curator to work with the curatorial team to support its exhibition, education, and academic engagement programs. The Assistant Curator assists with coordinating, planning, managing, and executing the details related to exhibitions and related programming. This position is also responsible for research, writing, and other duties in relation to the permanent collection, catalogues, and other exhibitions. The Assistant Curator reports to the Chief Curator and works closely with members of the curatorial department and serves as a liaison between the curatorial and education departments.
The University of Wyoming Art Museum is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums (AAM). It has a staff of 13 FTE plus contract teachers, interns, graduate assistants, and volunteers. With a strong philosophy in object-based learning, it presents up to 18 exhibitions annually with a full complement of Pre-School – university education programs, public programs, and events and has a strong statewide presence. Its collection of more that 8000 objects provides the foundation for its exhibition and academic engagement programs. For more information, visit www.uwyo.edu/artmuseum.
- Master’s degree in art, art history, museum studies, or related field
- 2 years professional experience in an art museum or gallery beyond internships
- Knowledge of and experience with museum best practices and exhibition standards
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite, and museum database systems
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Attention to detail and ability to schedule and meet deadlines
- Superb communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently or collaboratively as needed
- Demonstrated research skills related to exhibitions and museum texts
- Proficiency in editing and fact-checking of text and object details
- Track record of development and management of exhibitions, publications, and events
- Demonstrated systemized project management
- Act as coordinating curator or assistant for exhibitions originating at the Art Museum or outside venues. Correspond and coordinate with Chief Curator, museum personnel, guest curators, visiting artists, university faculty, and outside exhibition organizers to develop, plan, and execute details of the exhibition.
- Liaise with exhibition curators and other museum professionals.
- Create and manage checklists for exhibitions and class visits.
- Work with Chief Curator and Preparators to create floor plans and layouts for exhibitions.
- Draft exhibition texts and coordinate editing process. Format and create object labels, text panels, interpretive materials, create and initiate vinyl orders, and install object labels.
- Maintain and organize exhibition schedule.
- Acquire information from artists and galleries for the purpose of exhibitions, acquisitions, and publications.
- Collect, present, and preview, with the Chief Curator, outside exhibition proposals and correspond with artists, galleries, and others who submit proposals.
- Oversee phone and email inquiries related to artwork, exhibitions, and policies, and respond accordingly.
- Provide up-to-date and correct information about exhibitions to staff including Education and PR staff.
- Work with Education and other staff to produce materials to promote, publicize, and interpret exhibitions and public programs.
- Assist with the coordination and logistics of tours of exhibitions and panel discussions.
- Work with Curator of Academic Engagement to organize Teaching Gallery installations.
- Work with Collections Manager and Chief Curator to provide accurate online database entries
The University of Wyoming is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law and University policy. Please see www.uwyo.edu/diversity/fairness
We conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Offers of employment are contingent upon the completion of the background check.
The University of Wyoming is located in Laramie, a town of 30,000 in the heart of the Rocky Mountain West. Wyoming is investing in its university, helping to make it a leader in academics, research, and outreach. The university has state of the art facilities in many areas and is a cultural center for the state. Located on a high plain between the Laramie and Snowy Range mountain ranges, Laramie has more that 300 days of sunshine a year and is near year-round outdoor activities that include skiing, hiking, camping, bicycling, fishing and climbing.
The community provides the advantages of a major university and a distinctive identity as an important city in a frontier state. Laramie is near many of Colorado’s major cities and university communities (Fort Collins: 1 hour; Boulder: 1.5 hours; Denver: 2 hours; Colorado Springs: 4 hours).
Application Materials Required:
- cover letter
- writing samples including museum wall text and object text
ALL applicants must apply to the job using UW’s HCM/Applicant Tracking System. If not captured in this manner, candidates may not be considered. Please submit all materials using the following link: https://uwyo.taleo.net/careersection/00_ex/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en&portal=8100020604
UW is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer. We are committed to a multicultural environment and strongly encourage applications from women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities.
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation to apply for a position, please call 307-766-2377 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Categories: Job Postings