Assistant Director, Student Programs – 47190BR
Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
General Purpose: Reporting to the Director of Student Programs of the Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History, the Assistant Director will further cultivate the Museum’s relationship with the scholarly community at Yale, and increase the Peabody Museum’s visibility as a teaching resource for graduate and undergraduate education at Yale, strengthening the connections between the Museum’s collection and staff with Yale’s teaching and research missions. S/he will conceive, develop, implement, and oversee Yale interdisciplinary collaborations and interactive programs in the galleries, studios, and object study classrooms focused on faculty and students at both the undergraduate and graduate levels and will support initiatives that reflect the agenda of the Office of Student Programs, making the museum a vital center for object-based learning and research on campus. Through active collaboration with Museum and University colleagues, as well as partners from the community, the Assistant Director will contribute significantly to the Museum’s role as an intellectual force for its various constituencies. Successful candidates will demonstrate a keen sense of customer service and good humor, enjoy being part of a team, and have excellent communication skills.
Required Education and Experience: Bachelor’s Degree in a related field and four years of related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrates a proven track record of working collaboratively with a wide range of audiences and stakeholders to establish and ability to maintain effective relationships at the University and in the field, as well as with diverse museum audiences.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for the active engagement of faculty toward the continued growth and development of educational and academic programs within the Museum and the Yale community. Strong interest in and familiarity with museums; commitment to object-based research and teaching. Positive attitude that supports the Office of Student Program’s goals.
- Self-directed with the ability to take initiative and anticipate actions needed; ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment, ability to solve problems, and to be a team player in an active museum environment. Ability to exercise excellent interpersonal skills and relate well to stakeholders inside and outside of the Museum and University.
- Excellent teaching skills at university level with an emphasis on object-based and interactive approaches. Excellent writing, grammatical, and proof-reading skills and the ability to compose effective written communication, including grant writing. Demonstrated ability to represent the Museum through public speaking engagements.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure while exhibiting professionalism, a customer service attitude, and consistent flexibility in a busy multi-task environment. Attention to detail and ability to conceptualize steps involved in implementing programs as well as to see big picture.
- Preferred Education and Experience: Advanced degree in a field relevant to the Museum. Face-to-face customer service in a museum or cultural environment. Knowledge of natural history with the ability to answer general questions. Willingness to acquire greater knowledge of the Museum’s publications, exhibitions, and collections.
- Preferred Licenses or Certifications: Valid driver license and access to a vehicle.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at http://bit.ly/2mlDVNN. Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country’s great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.
Categories: Job Postings