Start Date: Immediate
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: President and CEO
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience; generous benefits apply
The Bechtler Museum of Modern Art, Charlotte. NC ( www.bechtler.org ):
The Bechtler is dedicated to preserving, presenting and interpreting its collection of nearly
1.400 works by many of the major figures of mid-20 th Century modernism including Alberto Giacometti. Joan Miro, Pablo Picasso, Andy Warhol, Jasper Johns. Le Corbusier. Jean Tinguely, Niki de Saint Phalle. Barbara Hepworth, Henry Moore. Alfred Manessier. Gustave Singier, and Pierre Soulages among others. The collection was built over 70 years by the Bechtler family in Zurich and Charlotte, NC and was recently given to the city of Charlotte. The museum building was designed by Swiss architect Mario Botta and opened to the public January. 2010. The Bechtler is an autonomous 501 (c) 3 and received full accreditation from the American Alliance of Museums in June, 2014. The museum will be celebrating its tenth anniversary during the year 2020.
Candidate should have at least seven years of experience in organizing and curating museum exhibitions with a primary focus on the period 1925-1980. Must have at least a Master’s degree (PhD preferred), strong language skills (especially German and French or Italian), and expertise mainly in European modernism. Demonstrated record of scholarship, publications and collaborative programming. Must be comfortable and effective in a fast-paced context and a close, collaborative working environment. Curator will manage a department of three full-time positions plus several part-time employees and volunteers. Proficiency in Microsoft office suite and Embark.
- Conceive and organize on average four exhibitions per year, two large (c.75-100 works), two small (c.10-30 works).
- Work closely with the marketing and communications, education and development departments supplying them information as needed for publicity, public programming and grant
- Oversee and conduct research on the permanent collection including travel nationally and
- Work with Director of Collections to advance a full conservation study of the
- Present gallery talks and public lectures on the museum’s exhibitions and
- Help develop and execute on an acquisitions
- Work closely with the Board’s Collections Committee along with the President, Executive Vice President and the Director of
- Other duties as
E-mail cover letter and resume/cv to firstname.lastname@example.org (with “Curator” in the subject line). Position will remain open until filled. No phone calls please. The Bechtler Museum of Modern Art is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer.
420 South Tryon Street, Charlotte, NC 28202 www.bechtler.org
Categories: Job Postings