The Department of Art at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga invites applications for Director and Curator of the Cress Gallery of Art. 12-month staff appointment; salary commensurate with experience, and includes full benefits. Review of applications begins July 1, 2019, and continues until the position is filled. Anticipated start date of September 1, 2019.
The Director and Curator is responsible for the fiscal and physical planning, operation, and promotion of the University’s Cress Gallery of Art and its exhibitions, programs, and events; for the care, maintenance, and management of the University’s Permanent Collection of Art; for the coordination of a visiting artist program; and for teaching one undergraduate course per year. As this is an outward facing, community-engaged position, candidates should demonstrate a commitment to equitable and inclusive exhibition programming.
The Art Department at UTC has 15 full-time faculty, six part-time faculty, and approximately 250 majors pursuing BA degrees in Studio Art, Art Education, and Art History, as well as BFA degrees in Graphic Design, Painting and Drawing, Photography and Media Art, and Sculpture. For more info about the gallery visit: cress gallery.org
- Curating original exhibitions featuring an inclusive range of emerging, contemporary artists; working closely with Art Department faculty to develop programming in alignment with the curriculum.
- Negotiating and contracting with artists, gallerists, and/or artist representatives to develop exhibition content. Securing fine arts insurance coverage. Contracting with art handlers and managing the shipment of works.
- Preparing work for installation; installing work and setting lighting.
- Writing original texts for curator’s statements, press releases, and other promotional materials. Developing and disseminating promotional material. Overseeing gallery web site.
- Developing, planning, and coordinating a visiting artist program.
- Maintaining records for the Cress Gallery of Art and inventory for the Permanent Collection. Determining and implementing best practices in the archival care of items in the Permanent Collection. Processing new acquisitions.
- Managing the operating budget for the Cress Gallery and Permanent Collection; maintaining records of expense and generating fiscal reports.
- Collaborating with the Office of Development as well as university and departmental administration on fund raising and development; writing grant proposals; initiating and maintaining relationships with sponsors, donors, and the arts community.
- Overseeing the daily operations of the Cress Gallery; hiring, training, and supervising assistants; attending to routine gallery maintenance.
- Teaching one undergraduate course per year.
- Master’s degree in fine arts, museum studies, curatorial practice, art theory and criticism, or a related field required; terminal degree preferred.
- Prior experience in curatorial practice at the graduate level or beyond required; experience as an art museum or university art gallery director/curator preferred.
- Must have extensive knowledge of contemporary artistic practice; knowledge of the presentation, care, and professional handling of works of art; skills in exhibition design and installation; ability to manage budgets, keep records, and work within a deadline-driven environment.
- Must have the ability to work independently and troubleshoot problems with minimal supervision. Must be able to work effectively with diverse constituencies of students, staff, faculty, and community members. Strong communication, collaboration, organizational, time management, and computer skills (Word, Excel) are required.
- Occasional evenings, weekends, and overnight travel are required.
Applicants must submit: letter of application; curriculum vitae; unofficial transcripts; curator’s statement relevant to a university setting; contact information for three letters of reference; PDF of materials that demonstrate experience curating original exhibitions, including sample catalogues, promotional materials, exhibition reviews, and/or other relevant support materials. Please apply online at
Categories: Job Postings