About Lesley University:
Located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Lesley University is highly regarded for its graduate and undergraduate programs in education, the arts, and applied social sciences. Lesley fosters a highly creative environment in which innovative ideas thrive, theory is integrated with practice and its 7,000 students and 87,000 alumni are empowered to improve and enrich communities.
We offer a competitive benefits package that includes health, dental, life, and long-term-disability insurance. In addition, we offer generous amounts of vacation and holiday time, as well as a tuition remission policy that enables employees to expand their knowledge and skills.
The Director of Exhibitions is responsible for leading the exhibitions program at the Lesley University College of Art + Design (Lesley Art + Design). This leadership role includes researching, curating, and implementing exhibitions that align with the educational mission of the college and university. The Director will also be responsible for extending the reach and reputation of the College of Art + Design on a local, regional, and national level through the exhibitions and supporting exhibition programing. She/he will serve as the primary liaison to the press/public to promote the vital role exhibitions play in the cultural education of the university and local community by working closely with the university offices of Marketing, Communication, and Advancement.
The Director will work closely with the college faculty, department Chairs, and the Exhibition Committee to select exhibitions and develop exhibition related programs including visiting artists, speakers, and educational events that reflect the college’s curriculum and degree programs. In consultation with the college faculty and Exhibitions Committee, she/he will develop exhibitions and programs that address issues of social equity and inclusion – a major college and university goal – as well as contemporary issues of art making and critical discourse.
The Director is responsible for the policies and procedures that govern the galleries, administrative oversight of the Exhibitions Office, and executing all aspects of the exhibition process. She/he also oversees the annual exhibitions budget, and approves all departmental expenses in consultation with the Assistant Dean.
- M.F.A. or equivalent terminal degree, or M.A. in Art History or related field.
- A minimum of five years of experience developing exhibition programming in a museum, gallery, or higher education environment.
- Demonstrated understanding of art handling, conservation, exhibition design and presentation.
- Demonstrated experience connecting higher education curriculum with exhibition programming.
- Strong skill sets in problem solving, organizational planning and managing multiple priorities.
- Experience with research and publication in related field.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills to build mutually beneficial relationships with artists, designers and fellow curators.
- Must have a high level of self-initiative, and a mature level of judgment and decision-making in a fast-paced, changing, forward-thinking environment.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States; if you hold a visa, your visa status must allow you to work at Lesley University.
Salary Grade 27: $71,541 – $88,711
Background checks are required for all positions.
Lesley University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to increasing the diversity of the university community and the curriculum. Candidates who believe they can contribute to this goal are encouraged to apply.
A cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references must be included for full consideration.
Applications will be reviewed upon the establishment of an appropriate pool of candidates.
To apply please use the link below to be directed to our website.
Categories: Job Postings