Misericordia University seeks a creative and organized Director of the Art Galleries to advance and continue the mission of the art galleries at Misericordia University. The candidate will oversee the daily operation of the art galleries and promote the visual arts for the cultural enrichment of a diverse set of constituents, including, but not limited to, the students and surrounding community. The Director will support the mission of the galleries to attract visitors to the Misericordia campus and to entertain beneficiaries for the purposes of cultivation and engagement. The Director will serve as an educational advisor to the faculty to select exhibitions or installations that may enhance their course studies and the academic mission of Misericordia University.
- Select and coordinate art exhibitions and other activities/functions in the Pauly Friedman Art Gallery, the MacDonald Art Gallery, and the Creative Film Theater.
- In conjunction with relevant members of the campus community, select artists for upcoming exhibitions that support the mission of the curriculum.
- Work closely with faculty to determine ways in which the gallery can support the academic mission of Misericordia University.
- Participate collaboratively with University Advancement on activities that foster donor relations and engagement.
- Manage the finances and staff of the Gallery.
- Negotiate and interpret contracts of traveling shows.
- Unpack and inspect art work to be exhibited, prepare condition reports, hang/install/set-up and take down art work, and perform restoration activities required for each show.
- Host opening receptions and special events at the Gallery.
Qualified candidates will hold a Master of Fine Arts (MFA) (preferred), or Master of Art (MA) in Art or Studio Art. An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered. Academic or art gallery/museum experience is preferred. The successful candidate will be able to work collaboratively with many individuals across the university and possess strong planning and organizational skills.
Misericordia University is committed to student, faculty, and staff diversity and values the educational benefit this brings to campus. Candidates should indicate any experience and/or leadership that contribute to this goal. Please submit a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information for 3 references online at www.misericordia.edu/hr under Staff Opportunities or by mail at Misericordia University, Attn: Human Resources, 301 Lake St. Dallas, PA 18612.
To ensure full review, application materials should be received by October 23, 2017. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Categories: Job Postings