REPORTS TO: Director and Curator of the Wriston Art Galleries
LOCATION: Wriston Art Center
Maintain and care for the university art collection. Assist Director and Curator in fulfilling the missions of the Wriston Art Galleries and Lawrence University.
- Oversee the care of the Lawrence University art collection, including accession, storage, and proper handling.
- Manage and implement collection digitization and online initiatives, including object photography and database management.
- Contribute to the organization, installation, and promotion of the rotational exhibitions in the galleries.
- Arrange viewings of artworks and objects for faculty, students, and community members.
- Contribute to the planning and execution of gallery programming.
- Hire, train, and supervise student gallery interns.
- Submit an annual report of activities to Director and serve as a member of the Gallery Committee.
- Provide general support to the Director and Curator in realizing the various activities and fulfilling the missions of the art galleries and Lawrence University.
This position reports directly to the Director and Curator of the Wriston Art Galleries. Working relationships exist with Lawrence University and Fox Cities community members, visiting artists, and regional museum professionals.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- A Bachelor’s degree in art history, museum/curatorial studies, library sciences or equivalent is required; a Master’s degree in these fields or equivalent is strongly preferred.
- A minimum of one year of professional work experience with art museum collections; additional experience in an art museum or gallery setting working with collections is preferred.
- An excellent academic record, strong written and oral communication and research skills, an aptitude for organization, and attention to detail.
- Strong knowledge of collections management software and online digital collections platforms.
- Ability in digital photography and image editing software.
- Ability to work independently on multiple projects, learn new skills, and meet deadlines.
- A strong commitment to museums and collections work.
- PC-windows computer and printers
- PastPerfect database software and online database systems
- Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel
- Digital camera
- Adobe Creative Suite
We encourage applications from individuals who will help us create a more inclusive Lawrence by: 1) further diversifying the staff; and/or 2) demonstrating experience with successful diversity-related initiatives; and 3) showing interest in developing inclusiveness to address the needs of a diverse student body. Lawrence University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from women and individuals of diverse backgrounds. See https://lawrencecareers.silkroad.com/lawrenceuniversity/About_Us.html for more information about Lawrence and its surrounding community, including the New North Regional Guide that lists resources that promote diversity in the community.
Categories: Job Postings