The Oakland Museum of California strives to provide innovative learning opportunities to students of diverse backgrounds and areas of study that are interested in working with a multidisciplinary museum that puts visitors and community at the center of our work.
The Oakland Museum of California values are fundamental to our institutional culture and guide our work together.
Excellence: We are committed to excellence and working at the highest standards of integrity and professionalism.
Community: We believe everyone should feel welcome and part of our community, both within the Museum and with our visitors and neighbors.
Innovation: We embrace innovation and calculated risk-taking to achieve our mission.
Commitment: Our work at the Museum demonstrates a sense of purpose and a shared accountability for the institution’s success.
The Preparation and Installation Intern will work as part of a team that constructs, installs and maintains museum exhibits. The intern will learn best practices and museum standards for exhibit fabrication, installation and maintenance. The intern will gain familiarity with specialized skills used in the production of museum exhibits including wall preparation and painting, woodworking, art handling, transportation of collections, graphics production, frame-shop techniques and mount-making.
Through interaction with museum professionals and hands on experience the intern will learn museum standards for wall painting, basic art handling, basic woodworking, installation of graphics, maintenance of exhibits and transportation of collections. They will gain knowledge about the different types of preparation techniques and skills used in a museum setting.
Under the close supervision of Preparator Supervisor, the intern will learn about and gain direct experience in:
- Assisting with weekly maintenance of exhibits in all gallery spaces (Art, History, Natural Sciences)
- Assisting with scheduled exhibit and collections rotations
- Assisting with transportation of exhibit and collections materials
- Interest in developing skills and experience in the Production, Installation and maintenance of museum exhibits
- Ability to focus on detailed work for several hours at a time
- Ability to work as part of a team performing physical work.
- Ability to work within established guidelines for safety of both people and museum collections
- Some experience working with hand tools and an interest in developing skills related to mount making, wall patching and painting, graphics installation
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to the following:
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds
- Paid hourly rate
- Free one year annual membership including cafe and store discounts
- Cultural Connections Membership
We are happy to work with your educational institution to provide credit for this internship.
The Oakland Museum of California is dedicated to diversity, inclusion, accessibility and equity. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ability/disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We highly encourage our diverse community to apply for available employment, internship, fellowship and volunteer positions at the Museum, as we aim to ensure our staff reflects the diversity of our visitors and surrounding community.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/fyw52f382gzzvrc4