Creative Arts 07415
The Art Museum in the College of Creative Arts at West Virginia University is seeking applications for a Museum Registrar. This position is responsible for cataloging works of art in the museum collection, managing the collection database system (TMS), creating reports. The Museum Register will also maintain all records and images related to the collection; conduct collection and location inventories; prepare incoming and outgoing loans, insurance and donor documents; handle, pack, and ship artwork; and all related registration activities in accordance with professional standards.
Located on WVU’s Evansdale Campus, the Art Museum (24,650 sq ft) opened August 25, 2015, alongside the Museum Education Center with a mission to create a welcoming and stimulating educational environment for diverse audiences to experience the transformative power of art. The Museum’s educational programs and exhibits engage visitors in active learning across the disciplines. The Nath Sculpture Garden was dedicated in fall 2016, and features seven sculptures created by artists from China, Zimbabwe and the United States. The museum’s Art Collection includes paintings, prints, works on paper, sculpture, and ceramics and totals more than 3,000 works of art that are international in scope.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Create and enter accurate and complete object collection documents.
- Update collection records on a monthly basis.
- Inspect works of art and complete condition reports in a timely manner.
- Prepare reports on collection for exhibits, grants and other uses as requested.
- Organize packing and shipping of works of art.
- Conduct regular collection and location inventories.
- Prepare deed of gift and loan documents promptly.
- Communicate appropriately with donors and lenders.
- Uphold confidentiality.
- Participate actively in the Collections Committee.
- Maintain a current and detailed Facilities Report.
- Contribute updates to Emergency/Disaster Preparedness Plan with Facilities Manager.
- Monitor environmental conditions in exhibit galleries and art storage areas.
- Master’s degree in museum studies, library and information science, art history or a closely related field
- Three (3) years of experience in museum setting in museum registration or collections management
- Experience in working with a collections database (TMS preferred)
- Experience in working with digital images and PhotoShop
- Ability to work effectively as an individual and collegially with other Museum and University staff
- Knowledge of current standards and best practices in museum registration, procedures for acquisitions, deaccessions and loans, fine arts insurance, risk management, documentation, art handling, and packing and shipping art
- Knowledge of legal and ethical issues related to academic museum art collections
- Knowledge of federal and state laws and other regulations regarding collections
- Knowledge and ability to examine works of art and produce accurate condition reports
- Basic knowledge of conservation principles
- Background check
- Driver’s license will be needed to transport works of art
- Cover letter
- Three professional references
- Physical requirements include the ability to lift 40 pounds
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at http://hr.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff and students, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans.
Posting Date: Jan 9, 2018
Posting Classification: FE/AP
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Categories: Job Postings