May 24, 2017
Dear AAMG Community,
The Trump administration released its comprehensive budget for the Federal government for FY 2018. The White House has requested that Congress start the process of closures of National Endowment for the Arts (NEA), the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH), and the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS).
The Association of Academic Museums and Galleries’ board of directors strongly stands against the elimination of the NEA, NEH, and the IMLS. These agencies are essential supporters and partners in our field and directly provide underwriting and indemnification help to many of our members. More broadly, these agencies help bring the arts to every part of America and signify the importance of art to Americans.
We urge every AAMG member to actively support the continued funding of these agencies. We also recognize that your museum or gallery, as a unit of your parent institution, might have limited independent authority for advocacy efforts directed at our legislative representatives. You are, however, able to advocate as an individual. In many cases, your advisory or other volunteer groups can also advocate.
Here are a few actions for you to take today:
- Contact the Congressional liaisons for your university or college to help them understand and address the impact of these cuts;
- Ask your members of Congress to sign on in support of the Office of Museum Services
- Find out how much funding museums in your state get from IMLS, NEH, and NEA with our State Snapshots, and tell your legislators to support NEH and NEA. (We are grateful to the American Alliance of Museums for providing these resources.)
- If your representatives are already fighting these proposed budget cuts, thank them for their efforts. Your support and appreciation can bolster their spirits for the hard fight ahead.
- Share this information with your volunteers and supporters.
- Tell us or share on the AAMG listserv any creative and effective ways you’ve found to get your message across.
Thank you for doing everything you can to keep the arts, humanities, museums, and galleries thriving and meaningful in the U.S.
AAMG Board of Directors