The Call for Sessions is Now Open!
We are actively seeking session proposals that discuss museum projects of interest to small to medium-sized institutions.
Session proposals should address one or more of the following topics:
- Leadership roles in museum building projects
- Strategic and master planning
- Budget and business planning
- The visitor experience
- Collections care and facility design
- Design and pre-construction processes
- Architect and contractor selection
- Project communication – both internal and external
- Dealing with existing infrastructure and historic preservation
- Sustainable design
- Challenges during “life after opening”
We’re looking for sessions that provide a clear and focused discussion of a specific project, bring a diverse range of participants to the table to exchange views, and can stimulate questions and conversations among the attendees.
The best-received and most informative sessions actively engage the participants and share “real world” experiences in the development of museum building projects.
How do I submit a proposal?
Please read the attached call to learn more about the contents required to submit a proposal. Sessions should include no more than 4 speakers and one of those speakers must be a museum professional. The deadline for submitting a proposal is 5:00PM EST on Friday, September 21, 2018. Submit proposals in PDF form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 Buildy Award!
What is the “BUILDY” Award?
This national award recognizes the most outstanding recent museum building projects. The purpose of the Buildy Award is to increase awareness within the field, and by the public at large, of the value of museums and the need for their ongoing rehabilitation and expansion to serve future generations.
For more information visit our Buildy Award Page here. You can also download the call for nominations directly by clicking the button below.
New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge
333 Adams St
Brooklyn, NY 11201
About the Symposium
The symposium is organized under three inter-related themes: Vision, Implementation, and Sustainability (or Life after Opening) . The content of each day will reflect these themes across a broad range of museum sizes and scales, budgets, scope of building projects, disciplines, and collecting vs. non-collecting institutions.
This symposium is for architects, museum leaders, planners, project managers, technical experts, and all those who plan or implement new construction, renovation, or expansion projects for museums. Whether your institution is a small historic site under renovation, a mid-sized art museum planning an expansion, or a large children’s museum building a new facility, this symposium is for you.
Building Museums® is an annual international symposium created, produced and managed by the Mid-Atlantic Association of Museums [MAAM] but is open to everyone with an interest in this important topic.
Attending the symposium will provide you the opportunity to:
- Better understand the process of planning, implementing, and surviving new construction, renovation, or expansion projects
- Examine case studies, current trends, topical issues, and specific projects related to building projects across a broad range of museum sizes and scales, budgets, scope of building projects, diversity of disciplines, and collecting vs. non-collections-holding institutions
- Actively discuss museum building projects with other museum professionals, architects, planners, project managers, and technical experts to better inform the process of building
- Access resources for architectural firms, consultants, museum projects, and museum leaders through the Building Museums Resource Guide.