The Joseph Moore Museum (JMM) at Earlham College seeks a part-time (23 hours/week, 12 months) qualified and dynamic Museum Administrative Assistant for immediate hire. This person will bring a welcoming, professional feel to the museum’s front desk/phone as the eyes and ears of the museum during business hours (1-5pm) upholding the museum’s exceptional customer service standards of safety, courtesy, cleanliness and efficiency. They will balance delivering front desk service and providing administrative support for the JMM faculty. This position is three-years, grant-funded.
First publicly opened in 1887, the JMM has long been known as the region’s natural history museum and is located in Richmond, Indiana on the campus of Earlham College. The JMM is a dynamic college museum focused on forging meaningful connections among community members and supporting exploration and application of scholarly knowledge to topics of importance to society. Our museum is largely student-run, where faculty provide support, training, and mentorship for students who are learning to be tour leaders, exhibit developers, researchers and collections specialists. We strive to create engaging community programs and exhibits that combine the strengths of our college natural history and ethnographic collections, planetarium, scholarly research of Earlham College faculty, and the passions of our three museum faculty and ~40 undergraduate student staff.
Part-time (23 hours/week, Mon 12-5pm, Tues-Fri 12:45-5:15pm, plus occasional additional hours up to 29 hours/week)
Pay Rate:$11.71 per hour initial wage; $11.82 per hour after 90-days
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Schedule student workers, field trips and other group tours/programs
- Field telephone calls and email inquiries in a professional and prompt manner
- Receive, direct and assist museum visitors (online communication in fall 2020, in-person when possible)
- Manage the gift shop, including moving it to an online system for fall 2020, sales, ordering, restocking, and shipping online orders
- Assist with care of live reptiles and amphibians
- Follow procedures for ensuring safety of our visitors, students, and collections including working closely with the Office of Public Safety and Richmond Police Department when necessary
- Oversee the physical space of the exhibit museum, including walking through all areas of the exhibit museum on a daily basis to identify any maintenance and repair needs, and scheduling services to resolve any issues
- Provide administrative support
- Assist with deposits and reimbursements
- Create, maintain and update accurate data sets for various reporting needs, including visitor statistics.
- Assist with the preparation of policies, reports and procedures documentation.
- Assist with planning and implementation of special events, including ordering, set-up and take-down
- Supervise and interface with student workers
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Experience & Qualifications
Two years experience in an administrative setting. Strong computer skills (e.g. word processing, spreadsheets, online sales, scheduling). High School degree or equivalent required (Bachelor’s degree preferred). Ability to lift 25 pounds. Frequent standing, walking and sitting required. Occasional weekend and evening hours required. Transportation for delivering promotional materials is required.
Must be detail-oriented with excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, oral and written communication skills. Strong computer skills and familiarity with software such as Microsoft Office word processing and spreadsheets, project management and scheduling systems.
A background check will be required.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Position will begin as early as possible. Announcement posted August 11, 2020.
Please send a cover letter detailing qualifications for the position, resume, and a list of at least three professional references as a single electronic file to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, IN 47374-4095
The application review begins immediately, and the search will remain open until the position is filled.
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
Categories: Job Postings