Bergen Community College, 45 minutes from New York’s Chelsea district, seeks an art world professional with a commitment to contemporary art. This is a 15 credit hour per semester teaching and gallery management position for the Fall and Spring semesters. The number of credits to be taught each semester and the amount of time allocated for the gallery management responsibilities will be determined based on the needs of the department each semester. The gallery management responsibilities will include working with the Gallery Advisory Committee to shape the gallery artistic direction through producing year-round exhibitions and related educational programming in addition to planning and implementing all phases of exhibitions including curating and working with guest curators, budgeting, shipping, handling, registration, installation, insurance, grants development, supervision of student aides, publicity and additional duties as assigned.
Teaching and learning are the central functions of Bergen Community College, and as such, its faculty plays a central role in supporting and fulfilling the College mission. The faculty has the primary responsibility for developing and carrying out effective instruction, counseling and library services. Since its founding in 1965, the College has been proud of its mix of tradition and innovation in the process of challenging students to raise questions, examine evidence, validate opinions, make decisions and communicate ideas effectively.
Successful candidates must be able to teach both day and evening classes including weekends, be committed to assessing student success and learning outcomes, assessing and developing new programs/curricula, demonstrating competence in instructional technology, especially on-line instruction, and willing to accept assignments at any of our three locations (Paramus, Hackensack and Lyndhurst). All positions require excellent organizational and communication skills as well as demonstrated scholarship and professional involvement.
- Masters degree in History of Art, Museum Studies, Arts Administration, Fine Arts (Candidates with outstanding curatorial experience may be considered with a Bachelors degree)
- 3 or more years of experience managing all aspects of varied exhibitions in a gallery context; experience in a higher education setting, especially community college is preferred
- 1 or more years of experience college teaching in a subject pertaining to visual arts.
- Must be committed to assessing student success and learning outcomes, assessing and developing new programs/curricula, demonstrating competence in instructional technology, especially on-line instruction.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills as well as demonstrated scholarship and professional involvement.
- Must be available for evening and weekend events and exhibitions.
- Must be able to teach both day and evening classes including weekends and willing to accept assignments at any of our three locations (Paramus, Hackensack and Lyndhurst).
Application materials will be accepted until position is filled. All interested candidates should send a letter of intent curriculum vitae, copies of transcripts, salary requirements and three professional letters of reference with current contact information. Send materials by e-mail with the job code: F-GALLERY in the subject line to email@example.com.
Bergen Community College
Department of Human Resources
400 Paramus Road, Room A316
Paramus, New Jersey 07652
EOE/NJ First Act Employer/Smoke-Free and Drug-Free Workplace
Categories: Job Postings