The State University of New York College at Plattsburgh is accepting applications for a Director of the Plattsburgh State Art Museum. This full-time, 12-month position reports to the Dean of Arts & Sciences and includes managerial, curatorial, and budgetary responsibilities.
- Oversee a year-round schedule of exhibits that includes student shows
- supervise a staff of employees, student workers, and docent volunteers
- work closely with the Plattsburgh College Foundation, the Art Department, the Student Association, and the Friends of Art
- serve as advisor to the Student Association Committee for art acquisitions and serve on the Campus Arts Council
- active involvement in grant writing, fund-raising, and development, in collaboration with Institutional Advancemen;
- teach in support of the Art program.
Required Qualifications: Master’s degree in arts management, museum studies, art history or comparable field
- Bachelor’s degree and comparable experience
- minimum of four years of professional experience in museum administration, including: extensive knowledge of museum policies, standards, and practices knowledge of budgetary and financial practices; experience in staff supervision
- curatorial experience, including: soliciting, developing, and overseeing a range of temporary exhibitions; and managing a permanent collection
- strong interpersonal and communication skills, including demonstrated ability to work with a wide variety of museum constituencies such as: administrators, faculty, and staff of the college; community individuals and organizations; and organizations at regional, national, and international levels
- understanding of and commitment to development and fund-raising in partnership with Institutional Advancement
Preferred Qualifications: Museum administration experience in an AAM-accredited museum;
teaching experience at the college level;
knowledge of copyright law and clearance practices.
SUNY Plattsburgh is an equal opportunity employer, committed to excellence through diversity. As an equal opportunity employer and a government contractor subject to VEVRAA, SUNY Plattsburgh complies with hiring regulations regarding sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, age and veteran status.
Salary: $65,392 minimum, plus excellent benefits. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Application materials received by November 30 will be guaranteed full consideration. Please apply to http://jobs.plattsburgh.edu/postings/9656 and include a cover letter addressing the candidate’s qualifications for the position, a CV or resume, unofficial transcripts for the highest degree earned, and a list of at least three references with contact information. Additional information may be requested at a later step in the process. Official transcripts from an accredited institution will be required prior to employment.
Categories: Job Postings