The University of Michigan Museum of Art (UMMA) seeks an Assistant Director, Annual Giving and Corporate Partnerships. Candidates under-represented in the museum field are strongly encouraged to apply.
This unique opportunity will appeal to candidates who thrive in a cohesive, team-based environment, and who are excited by the possibilities of working in a large, research-based university while also understanding its challenges.
For full consideration please provide a resume, with cover letter, describing how your experience and qualifications relate to the position requirements. Please apply at: email@example.com. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Assistant Director of Development, Annual Giving and Corporate Partnerships
Recently named the number one public university art museum in the country, the University of Michigan Museum of Art (UMMA) engages nearly 250,000 visitors on site annually with exhibitions and programs that promote the discovery, contemplation, and enjoyment of the art of our world. The Museum is at an exciting moment in its history with the recent appointment of Director Christina Olsen, whose deep experience with engaging academic and community audiences will lead the Museum into its next phase of ambitious growth.
Reporting to the Deputy Director, Development and External Relations, the Assistant Director, Annual Giving and Corporate Partnerships is responsible for managing the strategic execution of UMMA’s annual giving and corporate sponsorship programs. The Assistant Director focuses on effective solicitations for annual gifts up to $10,000, as well as securing support for UMMA’s exhibitions and programs from local and regional corporations. He/she also conceives, manages, and evaluates UMMA development events to deepen engagement with donors and prospects.
Duties and Responsibilities
Annual Giving and Corporate Giving – 70%
- Manage UMMA’s annual giving program. Create multi-year plan, defining segments to be cultivated as well to achieve revenue goals. Manage implementation of direct mail and e-communications. Collaborate with the U-M Office of University Development (OUD) to maximize efficiencies when appropriate.
- In partnership with UMMA’s Communications Department, create annual plan for UMMA’s Free Membership program, a key prospect pool for annual giving.
- Manage relationships with UMMA’s longtime annual donors, ensuring that their philanthropic potential is met through multi-year lead annual gifts, and possibly planned gifts.
- Manage corporate giving program for UMMA. Create multi-year plan for corporate sponsorship opportunities and strategies. Work collaboratively with UMMA curatorial and education staff to identify and solicit prospects for UMMA’s exhibitions and programs.
- Maintain a portfolio of approximately 50 corporate and lead annual giving prospects, developing relationships and engagement that ultimately lead to gift closures.
- Conduct approximately 75 significant interactions with prospects and donors per year, of which 35 should be face-to-face visits. Lead and/or participate in at least 20 lead annual gift/corporate solicitations annually.
- Work collaboratively with other fundraising officers across campus and in OUD to identify and execute strategy for donors with multi-unit interests. Serve as primary liaison to U-M Business Engagement Center for corporate prospect identification and coordination.
- Steward individual and corporate donors to encourage future giving.
- Create, implement, and monitor mechanisms for measuring success; develop annual calendar of activities and oversee the development of electronic opportunities for donor engagement.
- Monitor budget in support of annual giving program, including all mailings and donor recognition activities.
Events – 30%
- In partnership with the Deputy Director for Development & External Relations, conceive and create all development events, such as exhibition openings and other donor cultivation opportunities, that deepen engagement with donors and prospects. Create budgets; work closely with UMMA Facilities Manager, Senior Development Assistant, and Communications staff to manage and execute effective plan for events. Evaluate results for future improvement.
- Coordinate event information with the Office of University Development; work closely with their staff and other University colleagues to provide updates and collaborate when possible.
- As part of a cohesive team, interact with a broad range of Museum staff, including security, facilities, curatorial, education, and visitor services in preparation of events, as well as volunteers, donors, and general museum visitors.
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience in a museum or equivalent setting, with demonstrated responsibilities in annual fund and/or events.
- Demonstrated understanding of the needs and interests of diverse prospects, donors, and community members in order to develop and sustain constituent relationships.
- Demonstrated experience with event scheduling, production, and sponsorship.
- Ability to plan and administer multiple concurrent projects.
- Proficiency in computer applications including alumni/donor databases, Microsoft Word, Excel, calendaring systems and Power Point.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills.
- Ability and willingness to work periodically outside the normal workday, including evenings and weekends.
- Problem-solving skills, including the ability to maintain a calm demeanor and a sense of humor during occasionally stressful social circumstances.
- Demonstrated commitment or interest in the arts.
- Ability to maintain a positive atmosphere of leadership including continuous quality improvement, teamwork, mutual respect, professionalism, and personal accountability.
- Personal belief in the mission, goals, and objectives of UMMA.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
UMMA seeks to transform individual and civic life by promoting the discovery, contemplation, and enjoyment of the art of our world.
Categories: Job Postings