The Snite Museum of Art/Raclin Murphy Museum of Art at the University of Notre Dame seeks an enthusiastic and organized Assistant Museum Registrar. He/she should be able to work at a busy pace, multitask, have excellent interpersonal skills, and be a good problem solver. The Assistant Registrar assists the Museum Registrar in managing the Snite Museum’s collections. She/he will be responsible for a broad range of registration functions, including organizing artwork transport and storage, participating in the collection inventory, condition reporting, and installing and opening the Raclin Murphy Museum of Art galleries in Fall 2023. Being able to work independently and as part of a team is critical.
This is a two-year limited-term, full-time staff salaried position at $40,000 to $44,000 per year plus the benefits listed on the Notre Dame Office of Human Resources website for such a position.
● Assist the Registrar in the management, care, and storage of the permanent collection.
● Assist in managing the inventory of the museum’s permanent collection
● Process rights and reproduction requests for images of works in the Museum’s collection.
● Assist in processing and facilitating research requests on works in the Museum’s collection from Notre Dame students, faculty, and outside researchers.
● Work alongside the Museum Registrar in processing collection objects for packing, transportation, and installation at the Raclin Murphy Museum of Art.
● Assist with installing the new Raclin Murphy Museum of Art galleries and exhibitions.
● Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as Art History, Museum Studies, or equivalent experience; M.A. and/or Museum Studies certificate preferred
● At least 2-5 years of professional experience doing registration or collections management duties and tasks for an art museum or visual arts organization.
● Experience with current museum professional best practices for fine arts packing, shipping, handling, and condition reporting.
● Excellent organization, communication, and computer skills; knowledge of EmbARK is desirable
● Must be flexible, work well under pressure, and be able to meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
● Willing and able to travel domestically and internationally (during unrestricted times) as needed with art shipments or on museum business.
This is not necessarily an all-inclusive list of job-related responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions. While the above is intended to reflect the current job accurately, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
Note: Based on the University’s COVID-19 policies at their time of hire, all Snite employees may be required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and provide the required documentation to the University of Notre Dame or an exemption followed by required regular surveillance testing.
Applications, including a cover letter and CV, must be submitted by Friday, May 13, 2022, through the University of Notre Dame jobs website, jobs.nd.edu/postings/25818
Categories: Job Postings