The Williams College Museum of Art (WCMA) makes dynamic art experiences to incite new thinking about art, museums, and the world-and it does so from within the nation’s top ranked liberal arts college. A vibrant center for the arts at Williams, the Museum embodies the liberal arts’ ability to catalyze both creative and critical thinking.
WCMA is seeking an Assistant Registrar/Collections Care Specialist to facilitate and coordinate the processing of 1,000 permanent collection objects from an off-site storage facility into a new Williams College Library Shelving Facility (LSF) in Williamstown increasing access and preservation of the objects.
Williams is committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty and staff. Our expectation is that the successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation and religion. Applicants should highlight relevant experience with building, working with, and supporting a broadly diverse employee community.
Responsibilities include implementing the overall storage strategy and overseeing and facilitating two art handlers who will be re-housing artwork in archival containers for permanent storage. The Assistant Registrar/Collection Care Specialist should be familiar with and adhere to professional standards of collection management in the safe storage and handling of artwork.
- Compile lists of objects to be moved from off-site storage facility to LSF
- Schedule shipments from off-site storage facility to LSF storage facility
- Schedule objects for rehousing, digital photography and condition checks
- Make in-house condition reports
- Identify conservation priorities
- Record packing and document improved housing of artworks in storage
- Assist with art handling and movement of artwork
- Organize and prepare artwork for photo sessions and re-pack artwork in archival containers
- Take documentary digital photography of objects
- Facilitate art handling staff to process artworks through digitization workflow
- Process newly created digital content for immediate integration into museum systems
- Database user experience with The Museum System (TMS) or a similar relational database is highly desirable.
- Digital Asset Management (uploading, re-naming, metadata, organizing, migration strategy)
This is a full-time, 12 month, term appointment.
Knowledge of art and art history; a minimum of three years of experience working with art objects, preference will be given to candidates with a BA in Art, Art History or BFA and art handling experience in a museum or gallery setting. Must be able to work as part of a team and have good communication skills.
Review of applications will begin November 9, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
Employment at Williams is contingent on the verification of background information submitted by the applicant, including the completion of a criminal record check, and education when applicable.
Beyond meeting fully its legal obligations for non-discrimination, Williams College is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community where members from all backgrounds can live, learn and thrive.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/2wsxrbmfynvphs8y
Categories: Job Postings