Department: Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Position Type: Administrator
Posting Removal Date: Open Until Filled
Posting Number: 1001729
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Vassar College is a smoke free/tobacco free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Registrar and Collections Manager, the Associate Registrar and Coordinator for Exhibitions is one of five members of the collections and exhibitions management team charged with the functional care of 22,000 works of art and associated intellectual data. The Art Center’s collection spans all media ranging in date from antiquity to contemporary. The team is also responsible for the installation/deinstallation of exhibitions (both permanent collection works and loans) as well as the documentation of all transactions and movement of objects according to professional museum standards.
The Associate Registrar and Coordinator for Exhibitions is primarily responsible for the organization and implementation of temporary exhibitions, permanent collection installations and gallery rotations. The position is also responsible for organizing and managing in-house traveling exhibitions.
- Uses TMS to manage all aspects of exhibition planning and production; enters and maintains exhibition related information; works with curators to establish working checklists in TMS; works with database administrator to maintain integrity of data as currently established;
- Prepares loan agreements and receipts, certificates of insurance, and other legal documents as required (applications for Immunity from Seizure, US Gov’t Indemnity proposals, etc.);
- Reviews exhibition contracts and lender loan agreements;
- Establishes production schedules for exhibition prep and installation in conjunction with curators and preparator;
- Assures compliance with lender conditions including courier requirements;
- Writes condition reports on incoming, non-FLLAC works of art and exhibition loans; works with couriers as required;
- Coordinates gallery label + didactic panel in-house production;
- Produces reports as needed for grants and fiduciary accountability;
- Arranges packing/unpacking, shipping, couriers and insurance for exhibition loans to and from the Art Center;
- Supervises and mentors 2+ students per semester;
- Occasional courier duties;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- BA in Art History/BFA, MA/MFA preferred;
- A minimum of three to five years’ experience as an Assistant/Associate Registrar organizing domestic and international loans;
- Proficiency in TMS;
- Knowledge of art handling best practices and art and artifact collections care in a museum environment;
- Experience making shipping and courier arrangements, and writing condition reports;
- Ability to work under pressure and in a collaborative team environment;
- A high degree of organization and self-motivation, including ability to take initiative, anticipate actions needed, and exercise independent judgment;
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and to meet competing deadlines in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment;
- Excellent problem-solving, organization, and time-management skills; comfortable working on multiple projects at any one time;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate clearly in verbal and written forms;
- Ability to work with/mentor part-time work-study students from diverse backgrounds;
- Art handling and installation skills a plus.
Required Applicant Documents
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for 3 References
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach your cover letter, resume, contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format. Review of applications will begin immediately. This position will remain open until filled.
All applicants must apply online at: https://apptrkr.com/1675307.
Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Categories: Job Postings