Brown University is a leading research university distinct for its student-centered learning and deep sense of purpose. Our students, faculty and staff are driven by the idea that their work will have an impact in the world.
Brown University offers a flexible work/life balance; summer hours, winter break and a comprehensive Benefits package including time off, annual paid holidays; benefits offerings including health, dental, vision, tuition assistance, retirement, wellness, employee discounts and more. To learn about Brown University’s benefits, visit the University Human Resources web page here for further information.
About the Opportunity:
The Haffenreffer Museum of Anthropology is Brown University’s teaching and research museum. A resource across the university, we inspire creative and critical thinking about culture by fostering interdisciplinary understanding of the material world.
The Collections Assistant reports to the Collections Manager/Registrar and assists the collections team to inventory, document, move, rehouse, assess, and track archaeological, ethnographic, and archival collections. This work prepares HMA for a move of the collections from Bristol, RI to a new location in Providence, RI, and supports the routine use of objects and collections in exhibitions, teaching, research, and loans.
The position is a full-time three-year term position under the Transforming the Haffenreffer Museum grant project funded by the Mellon Foundation.
- The successful candidate will have a B.A./B.S. degree in Museum Studies, Anthropology, Archaeology, Art History, or related field or equivalent experience; and at least one year’s experience in a professional collection management or registration setting.
- Basic knowledge of preventive conservation strategies for cultural property in storage, on exhibit, in transit, or in use.
- Experience using a collection management system required. Knowledge of MuseumPlusRia preferred.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to handle works of art, use simple hand tools, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Awareness of issues of cultural sensitivity surrounding cultural heritage and collections.
- Demonstrated ability to support a community of diverse perspectives and cultures in an inclusive environment.
All applicants are asked to submit a cover letter and resume.
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
Categories: Job Postings