The Princeton University Art Museum seeks a curatorial Collections Cataloguer to join a team dedicated to providing full digital access to the encyclopedic holdings of the Museum.
The Collections Cataloguer (CC) will be responsible for the full cataloguing of selected works of art in the Asian Art collection of the Princeton University Art Museum. Information will be recorded in the Museum Collections Information System (TMS) utilizing best practices in the cataloguing of works of art. As part of the Museum’s Information and Technology department, reporting to the Manager of Collections Information and working closely with the Asian art curatorial department, the CC will focus on retrospective cataloguing of high impact works of Asian Art. This is a one-year full-time term position with benefits.
· Implement local data standards and data entry guidelines
· Organize, compile, and digitize (as needed) source documents relating to individual works of art in the collection
· Enter compiled data in collections information management system adhering to established standards and guidelines
· Create comprehensive subject tagging and relationships as outlined by best practice in cataloguing
· Handle and examine works of art under curatorial supervision to confirm, update, and correct cataloguing
· Confer regularly with curatorial and collections information staff to ensure accuracy of information and the use of appropriate authority tools
· Attend weekly team meetings
This position is subject to the University’s background check policy.
· Bachelor’s degree in art, art history, museum studies, information sciences, or related discipline
· One to three years demonstrated experience cataloging works of art within a collections information system
· Ability to work independently and efficiently to produce consistent, high-quality results over long-term project
· A high degree of organization, self-motivation, and great attention to detail is critical
· Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
· Demonstrated interest in museums, art history, visual culture
· Proficiency using multiple operating systems (Windows and Mac OSX) and basic software including Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite
· Background in the Art History
· Reading knowledge of Chinese and/or Japanese
About the Museum
With collecting origins dating to the 1750s, the Princeton University Art Museum is one of the finest art museums in the country. Formally established in 1882, its collections feature nearly 100,000 works of art ranging from ancient to contemporary art and spanning the globe. Its collections of Chinese painting, the art of the ancient Americas, and photography are widely regarded as being among the world’s richest. A private institution serving the public good, the Museum is committed to serving the University, local and regional communities, and beyond through a dynamic program of temporary exhibitions, new scholarship, and innovative programming. By collaborating with experts across many disciplines, fostering sustained study of original works of art, and uniting scholarship with broad accessibility, the Museum contributes to the development of critical thinking and visual literacy at Princeton University and enhances the civic fabric of our nation.
To learn more about the Princeton University Art Museum, please visit http://artmuseum.princeton.edu .
To apply go to https://main-princeton.icims.com/jobs/7609/collections-cataloguer/job?hub=15&mobile=false&width=1200&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=-300&jun1offset=-240 .
Princeton University is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Categories: Job Postings