Competitive based on qualifications. Expected salary range $50-55K will be discussed with candidates selected for screening interviews.
Full or Part Time
Number of Months
M-F 8:30-4pm, occasional evenings and weekends
Manage the Denison Museum Permanent Collection, which comprises ~8,000 objects from Asia, Europe, and North and Central America in a wide variety of media, including stone, wood, paper, lacquer, metal, and oils. The Collections Manager leads both long-range planning efforts and day-to-day activities relative to the care and stewardship of the Permanent Collection. Priorities over the next three to five years include completing the online catalogue, working with external scholars on object identification and valuation, and overseeing the acquisitions and deaccession process.
Essential Job Functions
- Oversee object preservation, acquisitions, cataloging, and deaccessioning process
- Responsible for the Collections Management System and population of public interface
- Direct facilities management, risk management, and security procedures
- Identify collection priorities and plan project workflows in coordination with the Senior Curator of Exhibitions and Education
- Generate and process condition reports, deeds of gift, insurance schedules, and loan contracts
- Communicate with donors, manage publication requests, and respond to reference and research inquiries
- Instruct and supervise student employees working on cataloging, rehousing, and research projects
- Work with the Senior Curator of Exhibitions and Education to select and prepare objects for curricular integration, public programming, and display
- Participate in budget management, grant writing, and event planning
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Master’s degree in Museum Studies or related degree, plus at least three years of experience in museum collections management or combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired. Professional experience where the duties included object handling, storage, preservation, and documentation of 2-D and 3-D objects. Experience with museum collections management and data processing systems (CollectorSystems preferred). Practical experience with deaccessioning. Broad knowledge of museum standards and practices, including accepted museum registration techniques, preservation principles and storage practices, security issues, environmental controls, and legal matters related to collections. Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Experience in mount making, hanging and installing two-dimensional and three-dimensional artwork, as is the ability to lift and carry heavy weights and be comfortable climbing ladders.
- 5 to 7 years experience in museum collections management.
- Experience with museum collections management and data processing systems (CollectorSystems preferred)
- Previous experience in acquisitions and deaccessioning fine art and cultural material
Moving fine art and cultural material on a daily basis, hanging and installing two-dimensional and three-dimensional artwork, has the ability to lift and carry heavy weights and be comfortable climbing ladders.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please provide a cover letter, resume/C.V., and three references.
Submit all material through the Denison Website.
Applications received by August 20, 2021 will be assured full consideration. Position open until filled.
Denison University Background Check Statement
The final candidate will undergo a background check as a conditional offer of employment.
Denison University EEO Statement
To achieve our mission as a liberal arts college, we continually strive to attract and hire candidates with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and identities. Denison fosters a campus community that recognizes the value of all persons regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender expression and identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or socio-economic background. For additional information and resources about diversity at Denison, please see our Diversity Guide (https://denison.edu/forms/diversity-guide). Denison is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Categories: Job Postings