Apply here: https://wku.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=171314 The Kentucky Museum Collections Manager serves as the primary point of contact for all interactions relating to the Museum’s object collection. This individual will proactively guide the maintenance, stewardship, and continuous improvement of the Kentucky Museum’s collection, in accordance with established collections plan(s)and policies and serves as the primary point of contact for interacting with and interpreting the collection for the public. The position is supported by a museum assistant, and co-supported by the Exhibits Technician and Exhibits Preparator. The responsibilities and duties of this appointment include the following:
- Coordinates all tasks related to acquisitions and deaccessioning, including maintaining legal documentation and records.
- Directs basic research and digitization of the Museum collections.
- Oversees the security and stability of the collection including housing and environmental conditions.
- Coordinates the paperwork and logistics related to incoming and outgoing loans.
- Serves as chief liaison for the collection with internal and external stakeholders.
- Collaborates with internal colleagues to support exhibitions and public programs. Oversees preparation of collections objects prior to their going on exhibition or used in programs such as the Museum’s Close Study of Collections for WKU classes.
- Manages use of the collection database management system.
- Supervises and provides professional development opportunities for interns, work study students, temporary hires, graduate assistants, and volunteers.
- Prepares and delivers presentations to university classes and groups as well as off campus organizations.
- Chairs the Museum Collection Committee and serves on other museum committees.
- Collaborates with the Development coordinator on grant writing and administration for grants related to the Museum collection.
- May occasionally work weekends and evenings for museum events.
- Performs other duties as needed.
- Master’s degree in Museum Studies, Public History, History, or Folklore.
- Minimum two years’ experience working with museum object collections as a major component of responsibilities.
- Knowledge of and experience with best practices and museum standards for the processing, handling, packing, housing/storage, numbering, physical and environmental security, and transport of a variety of object types.
- Working knowledge of a DSLR camera (or similar) and photo editing software (Adobe Photoshop Elements).
- Demonstrated knowledge of museum collection management software.
- Supervisory experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software.
- Able to climb ladders and lift up to twenty pounds unassisted.
- Able to work occasional evenings and weekend, as needed.
- Have a current driver’s license.
- May occasionally be required to travel in- and out-of-state relating to collections management and accessions.
Salary Range: $45,000 – $50,000
About WKU. Western Kentucky University (WKU) is a student-centered, applied-research institution committed to providing its students with a transformative academic and social experience and to elevating its surrounding communities. Founded in 1906, WKU is the second largest undergraduate institution in the Commonwealth of Kentucky with approximately 15,035 students (29% first generation, 18% underrepresented minority) and just over 2,500 faculty and staff employees. Located 65 miles north of Nashville, TN, and just over 100 miles south of Louisville, KY, WKU’s main campus is in Bowling Green, KY – a city with approximately 70,000 residents. Our population is ethnically diverse, with more than 85 languages spoken in and around Bowling Green, and people from 35 nationalities call our community home.
Western Kentucky University seeks to attract talented faculty and staff who are inspired individually to contribute to WKU’s strategic plans and ongoing success. We offer comprehensive wellness and health benefits to employees and their families, including domestic partners and other qualified dependents and take pride in providing a workplace culture that supports balancing the responsibilities of work and family life. Paid-time off for holidays, vacation and sick leave, and a tuition discount program for employees and dependents are also provided. Learn more about WKU and Bowling Green at wku.edu/about.
Kentucky state law requires all public institutions of postsecondary education to conduct pre-employment criminal background checks to determine suitability for employment.
Western Kentucky University (WKU) is committed to a policy and practice of providing equal employment and educational opportunities to all individuals. In accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, no form of discrimination or harassment will be tolerated at WKU on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, creed, religion, political belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, age, uniformed services, veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, or physical or mental disability in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices.
Persons with disabilities, who need reasonable accommodations to participate in the application and/or selection process, should notify the office of Institutional Equity. To request an accommodation, report a complaint, or ask questions regarding WKU’s Discrimination and Harassment Policy (#0.2040), please contact Ms. Ena Demir, Executive Director/Title IX Coordinator via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (270) 745-6867. Ms. Demir is also responsible for coordinating the University’s response to complaints related to sex and gender harassment. Additional information regarding Title IX is accessible via WKU’s https://www.wku.edu/titleix/ website.
Categories: Job Postings