Communications & Annual Giving Professional
The McClung Museum of Natural History and Culture at the University of Tennessee seeks a Communications and Annual Giving Professional to join a dynamic team of museum professionals and UT Foundation staff. The person in this position will give voice to the museum’s programs, exhibitions, and research by strategizing, planning, and implementing public relations and marketing campaigns. They will oversee external communications to increase public understanding of and support for the museum’s mission and goals. The position will also assist in coordinating annual giving programs to secure financial support and exposure for the museum.
75%, COMMUNICATIONS AND MARKETING
- Develop, implement, and manage a broad museum marketing and communications plan and calendar in consultation with museum staff.
- Translate highly specialized museum collections, research, exhibitions, and other content for the general public by creating a variety of content for cross-platform communications.
- Strategize and manage promotional plans and advertisement for programming and exhibitions in collaboration with museum team members.
- Establish and manage relationships with the press, and create and distribute press releases to secure local, regional, national, and international media coverage.
- Oversee social media channels, search engine listings, e-communications, and overall digital presence for the museum. Maintain a voice for the museum that upholds the museum brand. Respond with high emotional intelligence to public inquiries and/or commentary.
- Manage the museum website and oversee any necessary updates, content changes, or redesigns.
- Collaborate with graphic designers both internal and external to the museum. Assist with the creation of graphics as needed.
- Work closely with campus communication partners on behalf of the museum. Maintain an understanding of the UT brand to translate it to the museum’s vision.
- Manage a budget for marketing and make purchases as needed.
- Hire and supervise any PR/Marketing interns, student workers, or consultants as needed or as budgets allow.
- Other duties as assigned.
25%, ANNUAL GIVING AND STEWARDSHIP
- Visit with current and prospective museum members.
- Plan and staff membership and fundraising events.
- Implement campaigns designed to increase museum members.
- Draft a variety of written correspondence, such as appeal letters, sponsorship packets, and stewardship pieces.
- Help to identify and qualify major gifts prospects and refer to the appropriate development director(s) for further cultivation and gift discussions.
- Manage stewardship and communications strategy for members in consultation with the Director of External Relations.
- Assist as needed with fundraising efforts.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks.
- Superior writing and verbal communication skills for multiple media channels as well as attention to detail are critical.
- Advanced knowledge of major social media platforms, and skill with social media monitoring and response.
- Demonstrated project and time management skills.
- Expertise in Microsoft Office, and an advanced ability to learn new technology.
- Knowledge of WordPress, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Mail Chimp, and Adobe Creative Suite, and related applications required.
- Ability to work with diplomacy and tact at all times. Excellent interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence are required.
- Access to and ability to operate a personal vehicle for off-site meetings.
- Demonstrated skill in coordinating and working special events. Ability to assist with occasional weekend and evening events.
- Proficient skill in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator, and WordPress (or comparable website management platforms)
- Knowledge of and ability to use project management software.
- Knowledge of social media management tools such as Sprout Social
A Bachelor’s degree and three years of experience in a related field.
Three or more years of dedicated marketing and advertising experience; work experience in the Museum, Education, Higher Learning, or Nonprofit field; one year experience in a fundraising capacity.
Katy Malone, firstname.lastname@example.org
Leslie Chang Jantz, email@example.com
Chris Weddig, firstname.lastname@example.org
Categories: Job Postings