The University of Southern Indiana is searching for interested and qualified individuals to apply for our Curator of the New Harmony Gallery of Contemporary Art opening in New Harmony, Indiana.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Schedule exhibitions in the main Gallery exhibition space, with an emphasis on contemporary Midwestern artists
- Work in concert with USI’s McCutchan Art Center’s schedule of exhibits and programs.
- Schedule artist workshops in New Harmony and collaborate with USI art department visiting artists’ programs
- Implement residency programs for USI faculty and outside artists
- Oversee an active consignment shop, featuring local and regional artists
- Travel regionally to discover the work of artists, and to seek collaborations with other contemporary curators
- Promote the gallery locally, regionally, and specifically to USI faculty, staff, and students
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in fine art, art history or a related field required. Master’s degree in fine art or art history preferred.
- Museum or gallery administration experience required; knowledge of business and marketing procedures preferred.
- Three years of related experience in a university gallery or museum preferred.
- Knowledge of curatorial and registrar duties required.
- Knowledge of framing and art conservation methods required.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required.
- Experience with computers, word processing, spreadsheets, database, and email software required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
Standard work hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 8:30am – 5:00pm.
Irregular or extended hours may be necessary to meet business needs, including evenings and weekends.
The annual salary is $48,000 – $50,500 commensurate with experience.
About the New Harmony Gallery of Contemporary Art:
Since its inception in 1975, the New Harmony Gallery of Contemporary Art has provided an exhibition space for young and mid-career artists to show their work in a professional setting; and further, to provide a venue for contemporary art to the general public. Featuring a rotating schedule, the Gallery shop showcases local and regional artists, ceramics, glass, jewelry sculpture, prints, paintings, and more! Since the University of Southern Indiana began managing Historic New Harmony and the New harmony Gallery of Contemporary in 1985, all staff members have been employees of the University.
The University of Southern Indiana is a public higher education institution located on a beautiful 1,400-acre campus in Evansville, IN. We offer employees exceptional benefits! Benefits for this position include:
- Affordable medical, dental, vision, life and short term and long-term disability insurance plans
- Retirement plan where the University makes the total contribution equivalent to 11% of annual salary.
- Full tuition fee waiver for employees/75% for spouses and dependent children.
- Vacation and sick time
- Holiday pay
- Free access to Recreation, Fitness & Wellness Center.
- Access to on-campus University Health Center and Dental Hygiene Clinic.
For more information about the benefits that USI offers, please visit www.usi.edu/hr/benefits.
Please visithttps://usi.peopleadmin.com/postings/10543 to complete an application and upload application materials to the attention of Mrs. Leslie Townsend, Search Committee Chair. Application materials should include:
A cover letter
- A resume
- Unofficial Transcripts (Official transcripts required at a later stage.)
For best consideration, please submit materials before March 24, 2023.
The University of Southern Indiana is an EEO/AA employer. All individuals including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Categories: Job Postings