The Curator of Exhibitions at UB Art Galleries will be a dynamic, visionary curator who will conceptualize, develop and implement the exhibitions for both UB Art Gallery, Center for the Arts and UB Anderson Gallery that reflect its mission to provide access to art and ideas that are urgent and relevant to our time and place. As part of a research-focused university, UBAG is committed to advancing art as inquiry and has thus prioritized artists whose work is research driven.
The Curator of Exhibitions will work closely with the UB Art Galleries’ Director and professional staff, university faculty, students and staff, artists, community, and national and international partners to develop innovative and interdisciplinary exhibitions, and related programs that engage the university, students, faculty, the broader Western New York /Southern Ontario region, and beyond.
As the Curator of Exhibitions, you will:
· Work closely with the Director to plan future exhibitions for UB Art Galleries and when appropriate co-ordinate shows that will occupy both galleries.
· Working closely with staff, particularly the Director and Registrar, to submit a timeline and detailed budgets and write press releases for each exhibition with specific deadlines.
· Plan, organize and implement catalog publications when appropriate and sufficiently funded, and engage faculty, students, writers and/or consultants to contribute texts.
· Develop programs, projects, lectures, performances, and other events related to the exhibition program that expand audiences and increase the visibility of UB Art Galleries.
· Work regularly with the staff to develop strategic education programs and community partnerships to extend UB Art Galleries, its programs and academic resources beyond the university and into the city and region’s educational institutions and community organization.
· Partner with the UB Office of Advancement and Sponsored Projects to develop strategies for identifying and applying for funding support outside the university for exhibitions, publications, symposia, a residency program, etc. through grants, sponsorship and gifts.
Outstanding Benefits Package
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit – all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness.
About The University at Buffalo
The University at Buffalo (UB) is one of America’s leading public research universities and a flagship of the State University of New York system, recognized for our excellence and our impact. UB is a premier, research-intensive public university dedicated to academic excellence. Our research, creative activity and people positively impact the world. Like the city we call home, UB is distinguished by a culture of resilient optimism, resourceful thinking and pragmatic dreaming that enables us to reach others every day. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Master’s degree required.
• Previous curatorial experience and/or related museum/gallery experience.
• Demonstrated scholarship and excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Applicant must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
Categories: Job Postings