Yale University, conveniently located between Boston and New York, offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Located in the heart of historic downtown New Haven with more than 100 local boutiques, national retailers, cafés, casual eateries, award-winning restaurants, and world-renowned theaters, galleries, and museums.
The Yale Center for British Art seeks a Curator of Prints and Drawings with an exceptional record of exhibitions and publications to oversee the museum’s renowned collection of works on paper. The Department of Prints and Drawings encompasses more than 20,000 drawings and watercolors, over 35,000 prints, as well as a growing collection of photographs. International in scope and spanning the sixteenth century to the present, the collection ranges from Tudor drawings and portrait miniatures to outstanding eighteenth- and nineteenth-century watercolors, architectural drawings, topographical prints, and works relating to the former British Empire, the subcontinent, the Caribbean, and the African diaspora. The Center’s holdings of William Blake, George Stubbs and J. M. W. Turner are among the most important in the world.
The Curator of Prints and Drawings joins the Center’s curatorial staff at a pivotal moment for the museum. Reporting to the Deputy Director and Chief Curator, the curator will play a key role in bringing renewed attention to the collections in line with the Center’s mission. The Curator of Prints and Drawings brings creativity and vision to the Prints and Drawings collections and works collaboratively with the larger Curatorial Division to develop a dynamic and rigorous program of exhibitions and publications that enhances the collection’s profile and increases audience engagement.
The Curator of Prints and Drawings manages the Department and the stewardship of the Prints and Drawings collection, including: working closely with the Conservation Department to develop protocols for collections care, storage, and conservation priorities; assessing and making recommendations on evolving storage needs; and creating a comprehensive plan for cataloguing and digitizing the collection for the online catalog. Under the direction of the Deputy Director and Chief Curator, the Curator of Prints and Drawings develops a strategic plan for collections development, and is responsible for initiating research and making recommendations for acquisitions and gifts. The successful candidate will be an exemplary collaborator, possess deep knowledge in one or more areas relevant to the collection, and have a proven record of curatorial and scholarly expertise.
Application review will begin on 6/1/21.
Required Education and Experience:
Master’s Degree in Art History and five years of curatorial experience or an equivalent education and experience.
- Demonstrate independence and willingness and ability to be self-directed. Ability to take initiative, anticipate actions needed, and to exercise discretion and independent judgment.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Demonstrate ability as an effective collaborator both within the department, across the Center, in the larger university community and in the wider field of art museums.
- Demonstrate ability to conduct original research, to write clearly, and to communicate effectively to diverse audiences.
- In-depth knowledge and evidence of scholarship in the history of British art. Detailed understanding of works on paper, including print-making techniques. General knowledge of the history of art and museum practices. Proven record of curatorial and scholarly achievement, such as the development of acquisitions, exhibitions, or publications.
- Excellent writing skills; ability to write in an accessible language for a variety of audiences. Ability and interest to work collaboratively with internal and external curators, conservators, artists, and educators.
- Preferred Education and Experience: PhD preferred and eight years of curatorial experience or an equivalent education and experience.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at https://bit.ly/YaleCareers-63880BR. Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country’s great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.
Categories: Job Postings