The University of Arizona seeks a dynamic leader to direct the planning, implementation and operation of a re-envisioned museum located adjacent to the State Capitol Mall in Phoenix, Arizona. The Arizona Mining, Mineral and Natural Resource Education Museum (AMMNREM) was recently established to promote Arizona’s natural resource heritage and future through education, research and outreach. The Museum’s end-state vision is to create a recognized destination for life-long experiential learning, showcasing current knowledge, cutting-edge research and industry innovation. This vision includes the transformation of a dormant 1921 building into interactive galleries, idea labs, maker spaces, offices and public engagement spaces.
Working in conjunction with University of Arizona administration, academic departments and external constituent groups, the director will oversee development of a programmatic vision for a 21st century museum and corresponding business plan that focuses on external funding partnerships. The director will also oversee coordination of building renovations, tenant improvements and construction through to its re-opening. Upon completion of the building renovation, the director will manage museum operations, including day-to-day content programming, marketing & communications, personnel and fund-raising to ensure its long-term sustainability.
The University of Arizona (UA) Office of Research, Discovery and Innovation (RDI) oversees the Arizona Mining, Mineral and Natural Resource Education Museum (AMMNREM), as part of its interdisciplinary enterprise of cultural institutions, university centers & institutes, corporate engagement services, core facilities and research development services. The AMMNREM will work closely with other UA recognized destinations (e.g. Biosphere 2, Arizona State Museum, Mt. Lemmon Sky Center) to leverage their intellectual resources and strengthen UA’s position by advancing collaborative research, scholarship, and engagement at the local, regional, national, and international levels.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been listed by Forbes as one of America’s Best Employers in the United States and WorldatWork and the Arizona Department of Health Services have recognized us for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocation services, please visit https://whyua.arizona.edu/
Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversee the short- and long-term programmatic and strategic planning of a re-envisioned museum within the broader goals of the 2018 UA Strategic Plan.
- Act as a liaison between the UA administration and multiple organizations and stakeholders, including a governor-appointed advisory board, industry representatives, university researchers, K-12 educators, and community constituents.
- Serve as museum’s chief spokesperson to its constituents, to enhance its public and professional visibility and reputation locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally.
- Collaborate with other entities within the UA and beyond to enhance interdisciplinary academic research, student engagement and community outreach opportunities at the museum including multi-disciplinary academic departments and regional cultural institutions, as well as industry and community partners.
- Lead development of comprehensive extramural funding support for museum, including philanthropy, grants, industry sponsorships, and retail operations, in conjunction with UA administration.
- Build and maintain relationships with current and potential museum partners, donors, and other stakeholder groups.
- Oversee coordination of building renovations, construction, and other tenant improvements in conjunction with UA administration.
- Direct and oversee all museum administrative, programmatic, and operational activities including exhibit design, visitor experience, retail store, public events, outreach programs, communications, budgeting, hiring/evaluating of staff, and delegation of responsibilities as required.
- Ensure the long-term financial sustainability of the museum through effective management of existing resources and development of external funding.
- Provide clear and consistent communication to the museum’s internal and external constituencies.
- Collaborate with UA administration to implement the museum’s administrative, operational, philanthropic, and programmatic goals.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Awareness of natural resources and the agencies/industries that steward them.
- Knowledge of translating knowledge content into multiple media platforms and technologies to engage a variety of audiences.
- Ability to coordinate knowledge specialists in representative fields.
- Ability to manage projects, including organizational, team-based decision-making, work flow optimization, support services, personnel management, budgets, and report generation.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively across distinct institutional cultures.
- Ability to communicate and work with diverse groups toward a unified goal.
- Ability to secure external funding.
- Bachelor’s degree in a position-related field.
- Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in a complex institution or organization including two (2) years of administrative leadership experience.
- Demonstrated record of successful grant writing/fund-raising.
- Demonstrated record of project management experience.
- Demonstrated success in identifying, cultivating and maintaining relationships to increase visibility to multiple constituencies.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and oversee budgets.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills with all levels of an organization.
- Experience developing a programmatic vision for an organization.
- Experience working with highly interactive experiential museums.
- Demonstrated record of administrative leadership experience in academic or non-profit environments.
Please note: You will be required to provide contact information for a minimum of three professional references within your application. Should you be selected as a finalist for this position, for your convenience, your references may receive an automatic email. This email will ask your references to complete a brief questionnaire in regard to your suitability for the position as well as request the attachment of a letter of recommendation. These letters of recommendation must be uploaded directly via the UACareers.com website by your reference provider. UACareers.com is not compatible with any “dossier aggregate” system (e.g., Interfolio, Intellimedia).
Diversity Statement: At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.
For more information and to apply for this position, visit https://uacareers.com/postings/36860
Categories: Job Postings