Oversee the daily operations of the Handwerker Gallery and permanent collection. Research, develop, and plan exhibitions and manage and host exhibition openings, receptions, and other events. Implement Handwerker Gallery strategic plan, upholding vision, mission, values, and institutional goals in tandem with college-wide planning and initiatives. Coordinate marketing efforts to include preparing press releases, interdepartmental communications, designing posters and utilizing social media outlets. Serve as primary liaison to College departments, staff, student groups, faculty and other community groups regarding exhibitions and programming; organize class visits and group tours; maintain, preserve, and provide access to collection. Supervise and train student monitors and establish work schedules.
- Supervise the daily operations of the Handwerker Gallery to include supervising and training student workers and interns and establishing work schedules.
- Research, curate and/or coordinate exhibitions, planning in advance. Communicate with artist(s), guest curator(s), and loaning institutions/individuals, as relevant.
- Work closely with the Art History faculty, particularly the Museum Studies program, to coordinate exhibitions, programming, and collection access with curricular needs. Act as site supervisor for select Museum Studies internships.
- Develop and execute public events and speaker series during the academic year; develop relationships with speakers and exhibiting artists; arrange speaker honoraria and visit logistics; develop publicity for the events; coordinate with the H&S Dean’s Office, Office of Facilities, Conference and Event Services, and hosts of the event to ensure venue is setup and program logistics are complete. Track and perform quantitative and qualitative analysis of attendance for annual report.
- Oversee exhibition preparation, including ensuring didactic materials, research, and catalogues are complete, and exhibition installation and striking exhibitions. Prepare labels, contracts, and condition report documents for the exhibitions. Purchase and transport installation materials and supplies for gallery.
- Develop and demonstrate a multicultural awareness and contribute to cultivating an inclusive, diverse and respectful College community. Demonstrate civil and inclusive behavior when interacting with staff, faculty, students and visitors to the College. Promote a flexible, collaborative and inclusive work and living environment and engage in educational opportunities to increase awareness and understanding of diversity and inclusion.
- Work with Marketing Communications and H&S Dean’s Office to coordinate marketing efforts to include preparing and submitting Intercom announcements, press releases, interdepartmental communications, event poster design, social media and managing the website.
- Contact Ithaca College departments, staff, student groups, faculty as well as other interested community groups regarding exhibitions and programming; schedule class visits and gallery tours, lead tours, develop materials, and make the gallery and its collections available to classes and supervised visits. Serve as site supervisor for selected internships.
- Serve as site supervisor and assist in organizing the senior class show; assist with labels, panels and signage, publicity, and arrangements for the reception. Communicate with student curator (as relevant), student artists, department chairperson(s) and faculty advisors; assist with preparation of illustrated exhibition catalog, receipt of work, designing of show, installation, and oversight of collection of work after graduation.
- Oversee logistical arrangements for and host exhibition openings, receptions by the Humanities & Sciences Dean’s office and others; develop programming and serve as liaison with musicians, catering, facilities services and conferences and events. Collaborate on cross-campus initiatives and events, working with relevant campus offices.
- Work with and maintain the Handwerker Gallery and Ithaca College permanent collection. Coordinate registrarial cataloging and maintenance performed by Visual Resources Curator and student assistants. Oversee research on, educational use of, and archival storage of permanent collection.
- Lead and organize the Handwerker Gallery’s Faculty Advisory Board and Accessions Committee. Counsel and communicate with Alumni Advocacy Committee.
- Oversee sustained maintenance, safety, and renovation of gallery with appropriate Facilities department: Electrical, Grounds, Carpentry, Movers, ITS, Fire Marshall, Public Safety, Risk and Liability. Participate in annual Project Approval Request (PAR) process for submission of short- and long-term renovation projects and initiatives.
- Maintain the Handwerker Gallery budget.
- Attend and present at relevant conferences representing Handwerker Gallery and Ithaca College.
Masters degree in Art History, Museum Studies, Fine Arts, Museum Education or related field or relevant experience in a gallery, museum or art education setting; experience with operational aspects of gallery management, publicity, scheduling, installation, and programming; excellent organizational skills, ability to manage multiple tasks, work independently and meet deadlines; strong and effective verbal and written communication skills, computer competency and the ability to effectively work and interact respectfully within a diverse and inclusive environment are required.
Work in office on a computer (correspondence, publicity materials, research), with files, and in the Gallery (including transporting, lifting, and unpacking art objects). Most of the work is carried out within a generally accessible, safe, indoor environment. The candidate will need to lift safely and carefully using available moving equipment, and use various hand-held tools, power tools, and climb tall ladders. The employee will need to deliver and transport materials on and off campus requiring the ability to drive.
Gallery Website: https://www.ithaca.edu/handwerker-gallery
Link to apply: https://ehwy.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1/job/1003/?utm_medium=jobshare
Categories: Job Postings