Calvin College is seeking a Director of Exhibitions. This position is responsible for developing the Art Gallery as a center for education and scholarship in the visual arts that support the mission of Calvin College and Seminary as Christian liberal arts institutions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manage the exhibition schedule for the Center Art Gallery by planning, scheduling, organizing, and mounting exhibitions; coordinating involvement with other academic departments and appropriate campus personnel; preparing related educational and promotional materials; and receiving and packing works of art for shipment.
- Manage the permanent collection by selecting works of art for acquisition by purchase or donation; registering, siting, maintaining, and conserving works in the collection; supervising collection maintenance by students and building research files on the collection to provide accurate and timely records and ensure the permanent collection, which includes holdings from Calvin College and Seminary, is well maintained and available for loan.
- Administer the exhibition program by managing budgets; maintaining records; arranging insurance needs; negotiating loan agreements; applying for funds and grants; overseeing security of the gallery, storeroom, and campus placements; and attending committee meetings to support efficient gallery operations.
- Nurture relationships with donors and Calvin College and Seminary’s Advancement Departments for the purposes of fundraising for exhibitions, special projects, and the development of the permanent collection.
- Cultivate partnerships with relevant community members and organizations.
- Hire, train, coordinate, and supervise student art gallery assistants.
- Provide artwork for campus display from the permanent collection by responding to requests from the College and Seminary; identifying prospective campus display areas; receiving and packing works of art for shipment; and coordinating external loans to promote awareness of the Gallery’s permanent collection.
Responsible for appraising staff, determining pay increases, and hiring/firing of 4 student art gallery assistants.
Categories: Job Postings