The Columbus College of Art & Design (CCAD) is seeking applications for the position of Director of Exhibitions for our Beeler Gallery. Founded in 1879, the College is one of the oldest private art and design colleges in the United States, offering 12 undergraduate majors and two graduate programs in art and design that produce graduates equipped to shape culture and business at the highest level. For more information, visit ccad.edu.
The Director of Exhibitions oversees the Beeler Gallery with a focus on delivering engaging exhibitions art and ideas that increase public understanding of contemporary arts and artists. With programming designed to serve this mission, the Director is to curate the Beeler Gallery such that it serves as a resource, supplementing the educational experience of the campus, the regional communities and beyond. The Director’s main focus is to oversee the gallery’s intellectual content from conception to operation to dissemination, balancing quality programming and budgetary resources.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
While other duties may be assigned, in general, the Director of Exhibitions:
- Maintains a dialogue with constituents to address current topics and potential alignment with projects, student interests, and the ongoing goals of the curricula and visiting artist program
- Based on input from constituents, provides primary curatorial oversight of the Beeler Gallery’s programming that results in a quality exhibition schedule that supports and complements the college’s academic programs
- Represents the college in all appropriate exhibition venues and events, and engages local and national communities.
- Collaborates with the advancement office on fundraising efforts, including grants, donations and other support that benefits the Beeler Gallery and its related programing
- Recruits, trains and schedules personnel consistent with exhibitions needs
- Collaborates with the marketing and communications office on marketing efforts, including print, web, social media and P.R.
- Promotes collaborations with other visual art organizations
- Develops the exhibitions budget and operates within that budget each year
- Implements annual evaluations of gallery personnel
Education and/or Experience:
- Appropriate graduate degree from accredited college or university
- A minimum of three years consecutive oversight in a gallery, museum, or a related experience
- Ability to manage the overarching vision of gallery as it pertains to the college’s needs
- Must have a sound working knowledge of the contemporary art and design world
- Ability to communicate gracefully with all visiting artists, lending institutions, colleagues, administrators, and individuals
- Good financial officer as it pertains to strict adherence to the exhibitions budget.
- Interviewing, hiring, and training employees
- Planning, assigning, and directing work
- Appraising performance
- Rewarding and disciplining employees
- Addressing complaints and resolving problems
The Search Committee invites applications, email only, to email@example.com. Please place “Director of Exhibitions” in the subject line. Attachments should include a cover letter and resume which addresses the qualifications.
Resumes will be reviewed until the position has been filled
CCAD makes recruitment and retention decisions based on credentials, experience, abilities, talent, and results. CCAD is an EO/VET/Disability Employer. The administration, faculty, staff and student embrace diversity and prohibit discrimination on the bases of race, religion, color, gender, age, national origin, non-disqualifying disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other legally protected class status. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.