Sweet Briar College, a women’s college increasingly defined by innovation, has launched a bold academic program that integrates the liberal arts with women’s leadership to prepare graduates to address the challenges facing our world. Faculty are committed to cultivating the habits of mind—in problem solving, decision making, and creativity—that are critical for leaders. These values are embedded in the College’s institutional vision and supported by our confidence that academic excellence, small classes, and dedication to empowering young women will position its graduates to thrive.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Sweet Briar College is committed to enhancing our community and encourages applications from qualified individuals with varied backgrounds, experiences and ideas who would increase the diversity of the College.
Job Title: Director of Galleries and Museum
Classification: Full-time, benefits eligible faculty position
Reports To: Vice President of Academic Affairs and Dean of the College
Sweet Briar College seeks a Director of Galleries and Museum. The successful candidate will ensure effective day-to-day operations and planning of exhibits/exhibitions of the Pannell Gallery, Benedict Gallery, Vaulted Gallery, and Sweet Briar Museum. The permanent collection at Sweet Briar contains more than 8000 objects that support the academic and cultural life of the college. The collection is expansive and spans from medieval manuscripts through to 21st century artists. The collection contains an extensive selection of works on paper including the works of Durer, Rembrandt, Picasso, and Goya. With support from the alumnae group, The Friends of Art, the college has recently added works from contemporary emerging and established women artists including Carrie Mae Weems, Kara Walker, Lalla Essaydi, and Toyin Ojih Odutola. Candidates with experience curating and developing exhibitions of works from our collection or of those of guest artists are especially encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate will also lead our Arts Management program. This will include teaching two courses per year (Intro to Arts Management and Leadership of Arts Organization), and oversight of student internships and certificate completion. There will be opportunities to collaborate with contributing faculty and staff to evolve and innovate the program to better reflect current practice and to leverage Sweet Briar’s strengths.
- Curate and research exhibitions in the gallery spaces on campus;
- Maintain the collection, archives and database;
- Manage the part-time collections manager of the galleries and museum and student gallery assistants;
- Work with the alumnae Friends of Art Board;
- Coordinate and develop exemplary arts activities across the campus, including collaborating with the director of the Center for Creativity, Design, and the Arts, faculty, staff, and students;
- Create similar engagement with the surrounding community;
- Teach two courses per academic year in Arts Management;
- Oversee student practicums, internships, and work study placements for the Arts Management program;
- Maintain Embark collection systems; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Terminal degree (M.A. or preferably a PhD.) in art history; museum studies, or arts management;
- 4-5 years of experience curating art and research exhibitions and planning and coordinating art programming;
- Experience and success in grant development;
- Demonstrated interest in working across disciplines and engaging in collaboration across and beyond campus; and
- Excellent communication skills.
- Teaching experience at the college level is desirable.
How to Apply:
To apply, visit the Sweet Briar College Career Center: https://sbc.edu/human-resources/faculty-staff-job-openings/. All applications should include: 1) cover letter; 2) CV; 3) statement on teaching philosophy and research interests; and 4) a statement highlighting contributions to or future plans for promoting diversity and inclusion through work in this position; 5) the names and full contact information for three professional references. Items should be submitted in a single PDF file. Review of applications will begin on February 25, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled. 
Categories: Job Postings