The Oakland Museum of California strives to provide innovative learning opportunities to students of diverse backgrounds and areas of study that are interested in working with a multidisciplinary museum that puts visitors and community at the center of our work.
The Oakland Museum of California values are fundamental to our institutional culture and guide our work together.
Excellence: We are committed to excellence and working at the highest standards of integrity and professionalism.
Community: We believe everyone should feel welcome and part of our community, both within the Museum and with our visitors and neighbors.
Innovation: We embrace innovation and calculated risk-taking to achieve our mission.
Commitment: Our work at the Museum demonstrates a sense of purpose and a shared accountability for the institution’s success.
OMCA’s school and community programs are a vital part of the museum. The Learning Initiatives Intern will participate in implementing summer programming, supporting development of resources for the docent tours, curriculum development, educational program planning, and/or development of educational tools to assist visitors in making connections to the exhibitions.
Through this internship we will provide learning opportunities and hands-on experience in the areas of museum program development and implementation. The intern will gain additional knowledge related to communications and public programs , and have the opportunity to work with families, volunteers and education programming staff.
Under the close supervision of Learning Initiatives/Education staff, the intern will learn about and gain direct experience in:
- Assisting with program implementation, including supporting educators in teaching and leading program activities across disciplines and media
- Assisting with preparing program supplies and spaces for summer programs
- Conducting research that supports program development, culturally relevant teaching practices, and audience development
- A passion for OMCA’s mission and engagement with low-income and communities of color
- The ideal candidate is a current student in Education, Ethnic Studies, Museum Studies, Art History, Anthropology, or a related field with work experience in an education, environmental, cultural or community arts setting
- Knowledge of and/or interest in informal education practices including curriculum writing, lesson planning, and critical pedagogy (useful but not required)
- Excellent interpersonal communication
- Experience working with children and/or customer service
- Multidisciplinary interest in California Art, History, and Natural Sciences
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize in a fast-paced environment while meeting deadlines
- Familiarity with MS Office , Google Suite
- Must be self-motivated and able to take initiative on projects.
- At least 18 years of age
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to the following:
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
- Highly physical activities such as outdoor games, traveling via public transportation, managing groups of young children
- Paid hourly rate
- Free one year annual membership including cafe and store discounts
- Cultural Connections Membership
- American Alliance of Museums Membership
We are happy to work with your educational institution to provide credit for this internship.
The Oakland Museum of California is dedicated to diversity, inclusion, accessibility and equity. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ability/disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We highly encourage our diverse community to apply for available employment, internship, fellowship and volunteer positions at the Museum, as we aim to ensure our staff reflects the diversity of our visitors and surrounding community.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/z3vfc6vvmytxczd8
Categories: Job Postings