Please visit https://staffjobs.ua.edu/en-us/job/513511 for complete job posting and application instructions.
The Alabama Museum of Natural History (https://almnh.museums.ua.edu/) at The University of Alabama seeks an Education Outreach Coordinator. This is a full-time, staff-level position with benefits located on the campus of The University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. The position reports to the Director of the Alabama Museum of Natural History.
The University of Alabama Museums (https://museums.ua.edu/) includes five museums, two
research departments and a PBS television program within the College of Arts and Sciences.
These include the Alabama Museum of Natural History (oldest museum in Alabama), Mildred
Westervelt Warner Transportation Museum (local historical museum), Gorgas House (oldest structure on The University of Alabama campus), Moundville Archaeological Park (185-acres on the former site of the political and ceremonial center of a vast Native American chiefdom), Paul W. Bryant Museum (UA sports history museum), Discovering Alabama (Emmy Award-winning public television series), Office of Archaeological Research and the Department of Museum Research and Collections, which manages more than five million objects and specimens.
The Education Outreach Coordinator will be responsible for substantial public outreach through the development, management, and delivery of quality educational programs for all age groups.
Duties will include:
- Creation and delivery of year-round educational programs for the UA community (students, staff & faculty), as well as public visitors including K-12 students. Outreach programming will include a combination of on-site programs, off-site field programs, and special events.
- Serving as the museum’s liaison for UA’s Youth Protection, Risk Management, Grounds departments to ensure all the museum’s outreach programs are in full compliance with current UA policies and practices.
- Developing and maintaining standard methods to access and quantify the impact of the museum’s educational programs for reporting purposes to the Alabama Museum of Natural History Director, UA administrators, and external funding agencies.
- Scheduling and leading museum tours, field trips, and outreach activities.
- Developing budgets and grant applications to submit to federal, state, and local government agencies and private funding sources for support of the museum’s educational programs and managing successfully awarded grant funds.
- Assisting UA Museums’ Communications Specialist with the design of creative marketing and social media campaigns to expand public awareness of the museum’s outreach activities and programs.
- Overseeing care and maintenance of equipment, materials, and the museum’s Discovery Lab used for the museum’s outreach activities, programs, and special events.
- Comanaging the museum’s docent and volunteer program with the museum’s Research Outreach Coordinator.
A Master’s degree in a science field; two years prior experience in educational activities and/or public programming experience in a museum; demonstrated record of successful grant application writing.
Questions about the position should be addressed to the chair of the search committee, Dr. John Friel (firstname.lastname@example.org). To apply, go to jobs.ua.edu, complete the online application, and upload: (1) a cover letter; (2) CV; (3) a list of three to five references (including contact information). The search committee will request letters of reference as needed. Consideration of applications will begin August, 15, 2021, and will continue until the position is filled. There will be a preliminary Zoom screening of selected applicants, after which the top candidate(s) will be invited for an in-person interview. The start date is negotiable, but ideally before the end of the year. Additional information about the UA Museums can be found on our website at https://museums.ua.edu/. The University of Alabama is an equal-opportunity employer (EOE) including an EOE of protected vets and individuals with disabilities.
Categories: Job Postings