Employer Northwestern Michigan College
Reports to: President
Job Title: Executive Director of NMC Dennos Museum Center
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Traverse City, MI
The Dennos Museum Center is a flagship component of Northwestern Michigan College and the major public cultural center for the arts in Northwest Michigan. The Museum Center plays an important role as a main connector to international arts and cultures. As such, the position of Executive Director of NMC Dennos Museum Center requires a connector who is entrepreneurial, innovative and curious. This hands-on position provides planning, vision and direction for the Dennos Museum Center and manages its operations consistent with the goals of the college and the professional standards of the American Alliance of Museums.
- (Critical) Maintain community relations and media relations.
- (Critical) Establish and communicate the vision, mission and goals for the museum.
- (Critical) Administer the selection, organization, scheduling, installation and promotion of the museum’s exhibitions, concerts and educational programs consistent with the museum’s mission and vision.
- (Critical) Administer and develop the museum’s collections as defined by the museum’s collection’s management policy.
- (Critical) Support museum fundraising and membership development efforts in collaboration with the Resource Development office.
- (Critical) Serve as an active member in local, statewide and national professional organizations for the cultural field. Serve on their boards when invited, be engaged in the mission of the organizations, and attend conferences when appropriate.
- (Critical) Generate programming that attracts state and national and international attention, consistent with the museum’s mission and generates interest on the part of cultural leaders and the museum visitor.
- (Critical) Monitor the museum building for required maintenance, environmental control, and security and coordinate the required services to maintain as needed with the Director of Facilities
- Partner with leaders within the College to facilitate use of the Museum Center as a valuable resource for programs and areas of study. Assist with Museum team the set-up and take-down of exhibits
- (Critical) Prepares and manages the department’s budget.
- (Critical) Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with NMC’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding, recognizing employees; addressing performance problems or gaps.
Education and Experience
Preferred Education: Master’s Degree
Preferred Experience: Between 5 and 10 years
- Able to assess quality in the visual and performing arts for the purpose of developing the museum’s collections, exhibition and performing programs.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Computer skills, including knowledge of Internet, email, calendaring software required
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate, organize and promote exhibitions and concert programming and/or oversee the same.
- Demonstrated ability to design, layout, install, and light exhibitions working with museum’s staff and volunteers.
- Demonstrated ability to raise funds via grant writing and donor engagement.
Categories: Job Postings