About University at Albany:
Established in 1844 and designated a University Center of the State University of New York in 1962, the University at Albany’s broad mission of excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research and public service engages a diverse student body of more than 17,300 students in nine schools and colleges across three campuses.
Located in Albany, New York, New York State’s capital, the University is convenient to Boston, New York City and the Adirondacks.
The mission of the University Art Museum is to advance knowledge and foster understanding in contemporary visual arts. Through exhibitions, collections, educational programs and publications, the museum seeks to provide a forum for art, artists, and audiences that enriches the intellectual life of the university and community.
Founded in 1967, the museum’s 9,000 square foot facility was designed by architect Edward Durell Stone and with much of the uptown campus, is recognized as an icon of late 20th century modernist architecture. The Museum organizes four to six individual and thematic exhibitions a year, presents lectures, tours, classes, and other public programming frequently in collaboration with other programs and academic departments. It is responsible for the care, conservation, and exhibition of the University Art Collection in accordance with accepted standards in the museum field. Over 13,000 visitors attend exhibitions and events each year. For further information: www.albany.edu/museum.
The University Art Museum Exhibition and Publication Designer is responsible for maintaining standards of excellence in all aspects of exhibition design, related publications, and the Museum’s overall graphics program. S/he will play a vital part in the planning and execution of every museum exhibition and will be an excellent collaborator working closely with artists, guest curators, students, faculty, and museum staff in the realization and promotion of the Museum’s contemporary art program. The successful candidate will demonstrate creative vision and an enthusiasm for design with a track record of realizing complex projects related to exhibitions, publications, and exhibition related graphics. This position reports to the Museum Director.
- Working with curators, artists, students, faculty and members of the museum staff to design all temporary exhibitions and coordinate their installation
- Working with registrar and collections staff to design and coordinate the installation of the UAlbany Fine Arts Collection throughout the campus
- Design supporting exhibition graphics, text panels, and wall labels
- With director, curator, preparator, and exhibition coordinator, serve as a member of the museum exhibition team responsible for ongoing exhibition program planning, implementation and evaluation
- Responsible for overall graphics program for the museum
- Design all museum publications related to operations, exhibitions, and programs
- Management of entire publication printing process including supervision of commercial printers, interaction with press operator as part of quality control, on-site press checking
- Liaison with outside designers, printers, photographers and paper suppliers to meet museum design needs
- Oversee design and maintenance of the museum website
- Work closely with artists and curators to develop concepts for brochures and catalogs, and execute overall exhibition design
- Design museum forms and operational templates
- Responsible for overall aesthetic appearance and presentation of the museum’s public spaces, including exhibitions, special programs and events
- Collaborate with preparator on all exhibition electronic media usage and installation
- Working with curators and artists, process in-house media content sources (CD, DVD, other digital media formats) for use in exhibitions and programs
- Oversee exhibition installation photography for both the museum and exhibiting artists
- Prepare and install exhibition graphics
- Master’s degree in Design or Museum Studies, or other relevant field of study* and at least five years’ experience working in a museum OR a Bachelor’s degree in Design or Museum Studies, or other relevant field of study* and at least seven years’ experience working in a museum
- Graphic design experience, including proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat, Lightroom, Illustrator) and QuarkXPress
- Web design/development experience, including proficiency in Dreamweaver, and basic skill in editing HTML and CSS coding
- Basic maintenance and troubleshooting experience of PC hardware, networking, wide format inkjet printer and vinyl graphics cutter
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Applicant must be a strong collaborator.
- Applicant must have a willingness to work evenings and an occasional weekend.
- Applicant must possess a working knowledge of contemporary art and design.
- Applicants must address in their cover letter or personal statement their ability to work with a culturally diverse population.
*Degree(s) must be from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Department of Education or an internationally recognized accrediting organization.
Professional Rank and Salary Range: Instructional Support Specialist, SL-4
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts: disclosure of the University’s crime statistics for the past three years; and disclosures regarding the University’s current campus security policies. The University at Albany’s Annual Security Report is available in portable document format [PDF] by clicking this link http://police.albany.edu/ASR.shtml
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
THE UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY IS AN EO/AA/IRCA/ADA EMPLOYER
Please apply online via https://albany.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=96509
Applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- Cover letter stating all the required minimum qualifications and any of the applicable preferred qualifications
- Contact information of at least three references
Note: After submitting your resume/CV, the subsequent pages give you instructions for uploading additional documents (i.e. cover letter etc.).
Closing date for receipt of applications: May 27, 2018
Categories: Job Postings