Exhibition Designer and Coordinator
Center for Art, Design, and Visual Culture
The University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) is seeking a Exhibition Designer and Coordinator for the Center for Art, Design, and Visual Culture (CADVC). Reporting to the Director and working closely with Center staff, students, artists, curators, and colleagues in art production and presentation, the incumbent will be responsible for completing the individual design, coordination, fabrication, installation, and presentation of exhibitions and special projects presented by the Center for Art, Design, and Visual Culture (CADVC).
The Exhibition Designer and Coordinator is responsible for completing the individual design, coordination, fabrication, installation, and presentation of exhibitions and special projects presented by the Center for Art, Design, and Visual Culture (CADVC). The responsibilities of this position include overseeing all exhibition, commission, and associated technology decisions including the organization of production designs and diagrams and production schedules for artists, curators, and production teams. This position is responsible for all concerns related to the engineering and scheduling of materials and teams for preproduction, production, and postproduction of exhibition installation, construction, and lighting. Responsibilities include the preparation of diagrams, forms, schedules, procedures, installation, technical needs, operations notes, materials, and the research and implementation thereof. This key staff member at CADVC takes the lead on working closely with artists and curators, training and overseeing teams of installers including student staff, fabricating exhibition display devices including graphic designs and specialty gallery displays, lighting, art handling, packing and crating, and traveling art and exhibitions to other venues. This person supervises all workers in the CADVC’s gallery space, and coordinates work on the CADVC website, including part-time and full-time contractual workers as well as undergraduate and graduate workers. See full job posting for full description.
Specific duties include:
- Engineering, scheduling, and producing all materials and teams for preproduction, production, and postproduction of exhibition design, installation, construction, and lighting for gallery exhibitions as well as CADVC programs in public spaces and other venues. Point person for faculty and student exhibitions.
- Serving as lead installer during exhibition installations and de-installations. Design and layout of graphics for exhibitions. Coordinating and executing art handling, art packing, and art shipping, with knowledge of best practices for safe, secure, and professional standards of practice.
- Preparing precise diagrams, forms, schedules, procedures, installation, technical, and operation notes
- Overseeing purchase and use of all materials used in fabrication and installation of exhibitions and artistic projects, in consultation with curators and artists. Oversight of all audiovisual and other technologies for CADVC exhibitions and programs.
- Polite and professional communication with all partners, including lending institutions, exhibiting artists, guest curators, and others. Regular interfacing and consulting with museum design departments nationally and internationally, as well as lighting design firms, audio visual experts, university and college galleries, local cultural agencies, and other peer institutions
- Supervising the CADVC shop and storage spaces. Responsible for complying with. University standards including OSHA regulations, as well all university, state, and federal regulations regarding electrical needs, construction standards, and ADA compliance in all CADVC presentations. In consultation with gallery operations specialist and registrar: overseeing facility needs including internet, climate control, telecommunication needs, large-scale construction, general upkeep, and other needs.
- Training and supervising student assistants. Overseeing all contractual workers in the CADVC gallery space and shop. In conversation with other CADVC team members, supervising student schedules and gallery installation and de-installation schedules, including coordinating site logistics of exhibition projects and needs for upcoming installations in consultation with the Director, Operations Manager, registrar, artists, curators, and Facilities departments.
- Managing and maintaining inventories and upkeep of gallery furniture, technical apparatuses, and specialty tools and materials
- Creating museum-quality installation mounts, pedestals, and other exhibition devices
- Supporting CADVC events and installation activities during non-business hours, including AV/tech support for gallery events and performances
- Travelling occasionally to facilitate offsite installation of traveling shows, pickup and dropoff of art materials, and other work in support of CADVC
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- Education Required: BA in the Arts or BFA or at least four years of comparable experience.
- Must have a professsional background and previous working experience of at least two years related to fine art exhibition and/or museum work in the areas of fabrication, installation, and presentation.
- MFA or MA in the Arts
- Degrees with emphasis in media technologies are desirable.
- Three to five years experinece related to fine arts exhibition and/or museum work in the areas of fabrication, installation, and presentation.
Salary starting at $57,000 annually, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Salary includes full benefits. The position will remain open until filled.
UMBC is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer
To apply submit a cover letter and resume at: http://listings.umbc.edu/cw/en-us/job/494324?lApplicationSubSourceID=11560
Categories: Job Postings