The Phillips Museum of Art at Franklin & Marshall College seeks a full time experienced Exhibition Designer and Preparator with excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to multitask in a fast-paced, visitor centered, team-oriented environment.
Functions and Responsibilities Include:
- Support the Curator of Academic Affairs and Community Engagement’s work on exhibitions as well as artists, guest curators F&M faculty and students in the preparation, design and realization of relevant exhibition spaces. Attend and participate in project based meetings and ongoing communication between relevant parties.
- Support the Assistant Director and Collections Manager’s work on permanent collection projects supporting its care and conservation as well exhibitions on the collection in the museum and on the public grounds of F&M. Fabricate shelving and other exhibition related elements including mounts for collection based exhibition. Frame work as necessary. Create crates and packs for outgoing loans. Assist with preparing objects for class instruction or tours.
- Perform scheduled preventative maintenance including gallery and outdoor sculpture maintenance. Prepare the galleries for exhibition and is responsible for their maintenance and physical care in accordance with AAM standards. Order exhibition supplies and fabricate exhibition furniture and exhibition elements as needed. Create inventory and maintain supplies including exhibition furniture, lighting fixtures, paint, hardware and tools.
- Pack, unpack and transport artwork as needed. Construct crates and other packing containers as appropriate. Transport artwork as needed. Assist in uncrating incoming works of art. With oversight from the Assistant Director and Collections Manager, arrange shipping logistics for temporary and outgoing traveling exhibitions.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, flexibility, and the ability to multi-task in a fast paced, visitor centered, team orientated environment.
- Bachelor’s degree (Studio art, Art History or Museum Studies)
- 4-7 years of relevant work experience
- Proficiency with Google Suite, Exhibit Design software with preferred experience with Collections software
- Excellent fabrication, soldering and carpentry skills
- Audio / Visual skills
Full-time members of the Franklin & Marshall College professional staff receive competitive starting pay and a comprehensive benefits package that includes health coverage, dental, vision, generous retirement savings plan contributions, education benefits for employees, spouses and dependent children, and enjoy access to all College facilities including dining venues to suit all tastes, recreation and fitness facilities, and libraries, plus access to College performances, lectures, and events.
About Franklin & Marshall College:
Franklin & Marshall College, founded in 1787, is a highly selective, private, liberal arts college known for academic rigor, opportunities for faculty-student research and its commitment to helping each student reach their full potential. The College enrolls more than 2,300 undergraduate students from throughout the U.S. and around the world. The campus is located in a residential neighborhood in Lancaster, PA, a vital, historic city in a county of over 500,000 residents, with easy access to Philadelphia, Baltimore, New York, and Washington, D.C. Lancaster offers both a diverse, urban environment and lush, rolling farmland. Residents enjoy charming historic districts and historical landmarks, a vibrant arts and cultural scene, and dining and shopping to suit every taste.
About the Phillips Museum of Art:
The Phillips Museum of Art at Franklin and Marshall College is a forum for the creative process and fosters an understanding and appreciation of the arts, which include contemporary, historical & multicultural materials.
All resumes and cover letters must be submitted through our online process. We regret we are unable to accept applications or resumes submitted via mail, email, or fax. As you are submitting your application via this online process, please ensure that you provide an accurate email address. You will then receive an acknowledgment indicating that your application materials have been received. Individuals who need an accommodation due to a disability in order to submit an application or attend an employment interview should contact Human Resources at (717) 358-3995. For more information on career opportunities with Franklin & Marshall College, please visit fandm.edu/jobs
Categories: Job Postings