Job no: 799954
Work type: Support Staff
Pay Grade: 11
Major Administrative Unit / College: University Arts And Collections
Department: Art Museum 10050506
Sub Area: AP- Professionals
Location: East Lansing
Working/Functional Title: Exhibition Producer/Preparator
The Eli & Edythe Broad Art Museum at MSU is seeking an Exhibition Producer/Preparator to oversee exhibition planning, production, and implementation in close collaboration with museum curators. The Exhibition Producer reports to the Chief Preparator and is responsible for coordinating and implementing all aspects of an exhibition including space prep and maintenance, fabrication and fabrication design, installation schedule, art handling, strike of exhibitions and cost forecasting and tracking expenses. The right candidate will be detail oriented and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Coordinate the planning, design, and execution of assigned exhibitions for display at the Museum, as well as any related touring components of such exhibitions.
- Manage exhibition implementation onsite, including calling meetings as needed, directing tasks, and assist with budget estimation and oversight. Troubleshoot any problems that arise during the exhibition’s installation and alert supervisor to any significant concerns.
- Utilize project management best practices, such as detailed project schedules, exhibition calendars, budgets, and communication platforms, to ensure high-quality exhibition results, completing on time and on budget.
- Mat and frames all artwork in the permanent collection according to archival standards for methods, materials, and proper presentation
- Monitors the museum gallery environment to assure temperature and relative humidity adhere to museum standards
- Adheres to museum standards for collection care, packing, crating, handling, installing, and housing artworks.
- Establishes and maintains correct lighting in the galleries, following museum guidelines for exposure of objects to amount of foot candles and type of lamp
- Participate in regular training to stay informed of best practice and contribute to being an innovative industry leader. Instruct others as necessary.
- Responsible for maintaining work and storage spaces, keeping exhibition components and materials, tools, supplies organized.
- With these responsibilities/duties we want to always ensure high-quality exhibition results, completing on time and on budget; help to ensure all stakeholders are well represented and incorporated within a strong team environment. Ensure information is regularly shared as appropriate, to keep all stakeholders moving forward.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills:
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired through completion of a four-year college degree program in an area related to one of the specific MSU Museum disciplines; five years of experience working as a preparator in a museum, gallery or foundation; planning and project management skills including budget estimations; excellent organizational ability, ability to lead work teams; excellent communication skills both verbal and written; a solutions-oriented, creative problem solver and team player; ability to work with multiple, overlapping deadlines, identify priorities, organize work teams to ensure project deadlines are met; knowledge of 20th-century art a plus.
Successful candidate will have the ability to create and read shop drawings; demonstrated competency with shop/studio facilities as well as knowledge of safety procedures related to the handling of chemical solvents and adhesives; experience with fine carpentry, metal, and plastic fabrication techniques; knowledge of advanced AV installation; knowledge of design/rendering software and advanced printers; ability to learn and adhere to accounting procedures for supply procurement; demonstrated fine attention to detail and refined execution of work.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement”
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Average hours M-F 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM with some weekends. Also, expected beyond normal schedule during periods of installation/strike as necessary.
Summary of Physical Demands:
Lifting and carrying of 25 to 75 pounds.
Bidding eligibility ends August 2, 2022 at 11:55 P.M.
Advertised: Jul 27, 2022 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Aug 23, 2022 Eastern Daylight Time
Categories: Job Postings