Supervisor 2 – 37477BR
Exhibition Production Manager
Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
General Purpose: The Yale University Art Gallery is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated individual with proven experience and strengths in exhibition production, project management, and design. Reporting to the Deputy Director for Exhibition and Collection Management, and managing both internal and contracted project staff, the Exhibition Production Manager is responsible for guiding a diverse portfolio of exhibition projects to completion at the highest level of professional conduct and practice. Collaborating directly with eleven curatorial/collecting departments, the position oversees production at an off-site shop, contracts and manages outside fabrication, and produces and reviews design and shop production drawings.
Essential Duties: Develop and implement special exhibition plans and ensure work is properly organized and supervised to meet demanding exhibition and project deadlines. Provide in-gallery project management, coordinating the activities of Curators, Exhibitions Department, Registrars, Facilities, Security, and Conservation to achieve installation goals. On-floor supervision of museum technicians and carpenters supporting exhibitions and projects to maintain quality of work to ensure deadlines are met. Establish production goals for carpentry shop. Determine use and selection of outside contractors for specialized needs such as design, construction, and art handling outsourcing. Review work to maintain adherence to museum standards. Manage outsourced production of mockups, finalize prototype development, and monitor outsourced fabrication for quality control and timely delivery. Implement museum standards in concert with Conservation department. Train technicians on proper use of exhibit methods and materials and art handling techniques. Supervise proper maintenance of equipment and ordering of supplies for the work unit. Provide input for the development of budgets for exhibitions. Maintain adherence to budgets. Develop exhibition schedules as they pertain to staff hours, work assignments, timing of various phases of activities, and integration with collection activities. Research and maintain knowledge of new products, methods and developments in museum field.
Required Education and Experience: Bachelor’s Degree in related field and three years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven ability with art handling, packing, rigging and transportation; knowledge of best practices. Proven skills managing museum exhibition production and/or installation.
- High degree of organizational skill with ability to handle multiple projects in various stages of development. Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage time, juggle multiple duties and tasks, and meet deadlines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, effective and professional negotiating skills, strong interpersonal skills, discretion and diplomacy.
- Demonstrated initiative and administrative ability as required to work and understand the goals of a curatorial staff in formulating and implementing an ambitious program of temporary and permanent collection installations.
- Flexibility in management style to understand and subtly adjust to complex, highly skilled staff, both in the curatorial and support departments. Ability to maintain a professional and positive attitude in a dynamic and creative setting. Exceptional judgment, professionalism, and discretion in handling confidential and sensitive situations and matters.
- Preferred: B.A. in Art, Architecture, Design, or Art History. 3-5 years of experience managing museum exhibition production and/or installation. Working knowledge of CAD, Vectorworks or other drafting software.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at www.yale.edu/jobs – the STARS req ID for this position is 37477BR. Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country’s great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.
Categories: Job Postings