Application link: employment.ku.edu/staff/12933BR
Spencer Museum of Art
This position requires a wide range of skills related to the safety, storage, display, and transport of all kinds of art within a professional museum context. The applicant must be a problem solver who can envision and carry out potential solutions efficiently and effectively with respect to deadlines and be effective working as part of a team, independently, or as a project manager when necessary. Responsibilities include but are not limited to various types of construction and fine woodworking, such as display cabinets, exhibit furniture, art storage units, crates specifically designed for the safekeeping of art during domestic and international shipments, mat-cutting, framing, minimal conservation of frames and stretchers, and A/V and environmental installations. This individual must also be able to cut and shape a wide variety of acrylic, metal, fabric and other materials for storage and display purposes. In addition they will be asked to provide size and cost estimates for shipping purposes, train and supervise one or more students, be skilled in proper art handling techniques, be proficient in the use of a wide range of tools and materials, and be capable of making functional as well as aesthetic design decisions. In short, this position exists to support the institution’s objectives related to the many and varied capacities of art.
40% Design and Fabrication
- Fabricate exhibition furniture and preparation of gallery environs, including construction of display decks and building of moveable walls.
- Preparation and installation of A/V equipment, including but not limited to digital technologies for works of art.
- Mat and frame works of art, as well as work on repairs to frames or constructing new frames for art installation.
- Contribute to the exhibition design process and planning to enhance experience for all visitors to the Museum.
25% Exhibition Installation
- Assist with in installation of art exhibitions, which rotate continuously with occasional concentrated work load prior to academic semesters
- Help with deinstallation of art exhibitions
- Assemble and assist with art transport and crating, including building of custom crates.
20% Gallery Maintenance
- Provide maintenance and upkeep to the galleries on a regular basis
- Monitor and log data for lighting, temperature, humidity and limited cleaning responsibilities and other duties as assigned.
15% Equipment and Inventory
- Maintain workspaces and equipment in the exhibition shop.
- Keep an accurate and current inventory of supplies.
- Assist with ordering equipment and supplies and communicating with vendors.
- Three years of related professional experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in an art/design or related field.
- Knowledge of materials, techniques, and equipment used to complete projects of all sizes from individual mounts to architectural modifications.
- Experience working with and reading rough drawings, as well as formal prints, and translating them into fabricated items.
- Knowledge of basic safety standards and procedures as demonstrated by application materials.
- Experience applying inventive solutions to design/build challenges as evidenced by application and work history.
- Proven art handling skills as demonstrated in prior experience and references.
- Experience working with artists and designers to realize projects.
- Technical expertise in A/V applications.
- One year of art museum exhibition design experience.
- Detail oriented, with high standards for quality work.
- Demonstrated work experience that included effective working relationships with departmental and interdepartmental associates and diverse public.
Contact Information to Applicants
Richard Klocke, email@example.com
Additional Candidate Instruction
A complete application consists of a cover letter, resume, and three professional references. Please use your cover letter to address how you meet the required and preferred qualifications. Incomplete applications will not be considered. An online University of Kansas application must be completed to be considered for this position.
Review of applications begins on October 12, 2018. To ensure consideration apply by October 11, 2018.
Categories: Job Postings