Job ID: 245183
Join Our Team at Georgia Southern!
Georgia Southern is a dynamic university with three vibrant campuses in Hinesville, Savannah and Statesboro serving the communities in Southeast Georgia. As a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution, our world-class scholars instruct about 26,000 students in associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral level degree programs. Whether you are seeking the charm of a small town, the traditions of a historical/urban destination near the beach or supporting our military service members and their families, Georgia Southern offers its faculty and staff the best of all worlds!
Beyond an ideal location, there is a place for you to work in an exciting environment abounding with opportunities for personal and professional growth. We are steeped in tradition and devoted to academic distinction in teaching, scholarship and service. In 2018 Forbes Magazine listed Georgia Southern, along with 10 other Georgia companies or institutions, as one of America’s Best Midsize Employers. Georgia Southern University is passionate about serving our region while preparing our students to be lifelong scholars, leaders, and responsible stewards of their communities and the world.
0120131 – Museum
The Curator’s purpose is to provide all aspects of cataloguing, registration and collection management duties including activities involving the permanent collections, loans and exhibitions, access to collections for scholarly research and in support of University classes, and day-to-day operations. The Curator supports the Distinguished Scholar in Guitar/Music Industry at the Fred and Dinah Gretsch School of Music and related faculty and staff, ensuring safe and proper handling, transportation, exhibition, storage, and documentation of permanent collections and loans. The Curator also trains and supervises graduate assistants and student employees and volunteers working with the collection.
Due to the Governor’s approval for the Cost of Living Adjustment to Fiscal Years 2022 and 2023, final salaries at the time of hire may be impacted, but will not be lower than what is advertised.
- Perform related duties as assigned to support the mission of the University
- Arrange for packing and shipping incoming and outgoing loans for exhibitions, conservation, acquisitions and other projects
- Participate in professional development training and workshops to maintain and develop skills and knowledge of current museum practice
- Assist in the development of exhibitions and educational programming
- Provide cataloguing and registration duties for the permanent collections including researching, recording, maintaining and developing the museum’s collections documentation and information systems
- Record and monitor object movements within and outside of the Collection and process and document incoming and outgoing loans for research and special exhibitions
- Prepare documentation for insuring objects in the permanent collection and on loan working with University Risk and Property Management
- Monitor environmental conditions and monitor objects for damage and/or deterioration
- Supervise collection photography and maintain rights and reproductions services
- Take necessary action to ensure appropriate storage and maintenance of the collection consistent with best practices
- Act as point person to provide access to the permanent collection and the collection database as requested by faculty, researchers, or students, as well as make in-house arrangements for viewing objects from the collection
- Supervise interns, student workers, graduate research assistants, and volunteers
- Master’s degree
Other Required Qualifications
- Broad knowledge of and interest in musical instruments, especially guitars and drums
- Demonstrated success in building relationships with diverse people including musicians, collectors, researchers, and students
- Two (2) or more years experience in museum or collections management
Preferred Educational Qualifications
- Master’s Degree in Museum Studies or related field
Required Documents to Attach
- Please provide three (3) professional references in the Required Documents to Attach section of your application.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Consistently exhibit engaging customer service
- Ability to work well in a diverse and inclusive environment through commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Proven proficiency with computers including Microsoft Office, Google, and/or applications as required for specific position
- Adhere to University policies and procedures, meeting Institutional goals, and supporting University’s mission for student success
- Effective communication (verbal and written), organizational and human relations skills
Apply Before Date
August 15, 2022
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Resources by phone at (912) 478-6947 or by e-mail at email@example.com .
For technical support, please call the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Categories: Job Postings