Division of Modern and Contemporary Art
Salary: $50,000 per year
FTE: 100% 100%. This is a term position.
Term duration: 2 years
Start date: September 7, 2021
The Curatorial Fellowship Program at the Harvard Art Museums is designed to broaden the experience of scholars embarking on professional careers in art history who are considering the museum profession.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Curatorial Fellow will assist the Menschel Curator of Photography in researching and preparing interpretive materials for permanent collection installations and special exhibitions.
- The Curatorial Fellow assists with a broad range of other curatorial activities, including cataloging of the permanent collection in the Art Museums’ database, and assistance with new acquisitions and donor cultivation.
- Foregrounding the museum’s teaching and research mission, the Curatorial Fellow also helps provide content expertise and support for the Art Museums’ Art Study Center by supporting classes and individual appointments six hours a week, participates in a series of art handling workshops, and contributes to a rich offering of public and academic interpretive programs across various platforms.
- The Curatorial Fellow will be an active member of the Fellows’ cohort and will participate in regular cohort meetings and in the annual Fellows symposium at the end of the spring semester.
- The Curatorial Fellow may supervise students and temporary employees.
MA in Art History or related fields
- PhD preferred
- Curatorial or related experience helpful; interest in challenging canonical narratives strongly encouraged
- Proficiency in a foreign language helpful
- Commitment to fostering the appreciation of works of art in a museum context
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills; ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
The Harvard Art Museums are committed to equity and inclusion in its staff and to engaging with a wide range of audiences and constituents, and welcome applications from candidates of diverse backgrounds who share these interests and commitment.
Please apply online with a letter of interest and a résumé or curriculum vitae. Complete applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, starting May 26, 2021 and continuing until the position is filled.
Upon review of initial applications, selected candidates will be notified to submit two letters of recommendation. Other supporting documents may include transcripts and writing samples.
Please apply online with letter and resume or curriculum vitae here.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The term of this fellowship is September 7, 2021-August 31, 2023. In addition to $50,000 annual compensation, the fellowship has an allocated travel budget and is eligible to participate in Harvard’s fringe benefits program.
Discover Harvard Art Museums and Harvard University Benefits
- A creative, high- energy, collaborative environment
- Generous Vacation, Sick, Personal, and Holiday pay
- Medical, Dental and Vision benefits starting on your first day
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Transportation benefits to help with your daily commute
- Health and wellness discounts, memberships and programs
Additional benefits can be found at https://hr.harvard.edu/totalrewards
Categories: Job Postings