St. Louis, Missouri
The Manager of Marketing, Communications & Visitor Services at the Mildred Lane Kemper Art Museum in the Sam Fox School of Design & Visual Arts is a creative, self-directed individual responsible for developing and implementing marketing and communication strategies to promote the local, national, and international reputation of the Museum and to build the Museum’s audiences. This position oversees visitor services, including the operations of the Coffee Bar, Museum Shop, and rental events, and the membership program in conjunction with University Advancement. In support of the goal of raising the profile of the Museum, the position coordinates with the Sam Fox School’s Communications Office and the University’s offices of Advancement and Marketing & Communications. As part of the Museum’s senior staff, this position participates in strategic short- and long-term institutional planning and represents the Museum on campus, regionally, nationally, and internationally. The position reports to the Head of Publications.
Candidate is required to submit work samples.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
1. Develops, manages, and directs marketing and communications, coordinating a cohesive institutional identity:
- Ensures that all communications, including media relations, advertising, promotions, graphics, and digital communications, are working together in concert;
- Finds creative ways of reaching target audiences to market both specific programs and the Museum in general;
- Research market and visitor analytics to help evaluate the effectiveness of marketing and communications strategies.
2. Serves as project manager and supervisor for content creation and marketing communications:
- Manages the creation, design, and production of seasonal print communications, including the Museum’s biannual newsletter and event related announcements;
- Creates, manages, and sustains an impactful online presence through social media, website, and targeted email marketing;
- Establishes and ensures adherence to budgets and schedules;
- Contracts and works with a variety of outside service providers, including designers, printers, and advertising venues;
- Supervise the part-time Digital Initiatives and Marketing Coordinator.
3. Oversees visitor services and events and the management of the membership program in coordination with the Sam Fox School Advancement team. Supervises the Events and Retail Coordinator and the Visitor Services and Membership Coordinator.
4. Works with the Same Fox School Communications office to coordinate communications, cross-marketing, and messaging for greater impact for both the Museum and the School. Works with the University Marketing & Communications office to raise public awareness of the Museum and its programs locally, nationally, and internationally. Networks with other University communications staff to raise awareness of the Museum across campus and meet shared marketing goals.
5. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in art history, English, communications, marketing, or equivalent.
- Three years non-profit marketing and communications experience; museum experience.
- Five years marketing and communications experience; museum marketing and public relations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience translating scholarly content into accessible and engaging content for a broad variety of audiences.
- Creative initiative in developing and implementing marketing and communications strategies.
- Ability to convey the Museum’s identity to its various constituents.
- Ability to create positive visitor experiences for diverse audiences.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong diplomacy skills in interacting with donors, visitors (VIP, general public, faculty and students), and colleagues in the museum profession.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism, business administration, English, or related field.
- Three years of progressive responsibility in related area.
- Candidates are required to submit work samples.
$52,000.00 – $88,800.00 / Annually
Categories: Job Postings