Grade: 54, non-exempt, union
Hours: Full-time, 35 hours per week
Under the direction of the Finance Director, manages all day-to-day operations of the Dumbarton Oaks Museum Shop, including all procurement; merchandising; and financial and administrative functions, including selection and supervision of part time staff in the shop. The Museum Shop Manager establishes and promotes a retail vision and visitor experience consistent with the mission of Dumbarton Oaks.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Research, evaluate and purchase approved merchandise; ensure that all merchandise is appropriate, of good quality, and aligned with the mission of Dumbarton Oaks.
- Receive, process, and price incoming stock.
- Oversee and maintain retail Point of Sale (POS) system.
- Plan and implement biannual physical inventory count and quarterly jewelry physical inventory count. Maintain current inventory database.
- Forecast, plan, and adhere to annual museum shop budget and track daily, monthly, and annual sales and attendance figures.
- Analyze sales trends and pricing policies to determine profitability. Forecast merchandise needs for future events and seasons.
- Process and submit invoices in timely manner; reconcile purchasing card statement; work out discrepancies with vendors.
- Create and maintain inventory database. Plan and implement biannual physical inventory count and quarterly jewelry physical inventory count.
- Hire, train and supervise temporary staff to ensure the highest standard of positive customer experience as well as coverage and presence at all times during store opening hours (Tuesday – Sunday, 2:00 – 5:00 pm).
- Develop merchandising strategy and create visually enticing displays.
- Update and maintain museum shop’s web page.
- Design all shop graphics, signage, labels, and custom packaging.
- Coordinate and execute all activities related to product development and product licensing and develop customized products in conjunction with permanent as well as special exhibitions.
- Schedule, plan, and run special shop events in collaboration with relevant departments.
- Provide a high level of customer service both at the store and through phone contact.
- Monitor and purchase all office supplies, display supplies, equipment, and fixtures.
- Initiate online store development.
- Maintain professional knowledge by participating in professional societies and local activities, reviewing professional publications, and establishing personal networks.
- Perform other duties as required.
College degree or equivalent retail experience required. Museum store and/or gift shop experience and/or retail experience with a high level of personal responsibility highly preferred. Experience with tracking budget expenses; pricing; vendor relationships required. Customer service focus; market knowledge; employee supervision; strategic planning; excellent verbal and written communication skills; fluency with retail POS systems; graphic design skills; e-commerce experience; creative vision and an interest in world cultures.
Experience with Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, and retail POS software.
Ability to lift up to 40 lbs with frequent lifting/carrying of objects up to 10 lbs.
COVID Vaccine Policy: The University requires all Harvard community members to be fully vaccinated (primary series) against COVID-, as detailed in Harvard’s Vaccine & Booster Information. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
The position remains open until filled. Please forward résumé and cover letter detailing relevant qualifications by clicking the link below.
Dumbarton Oaks is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
Categories: Job Postings