The University of Tennessee, Knoxville (UTK), invites applications for a NAGPRA (Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act) Coordinator position.
The NAGPRA Coordinator will report to the Director of Repatriation and will assist with work under the purview of NAGPRA. This is a full-time, exempt position with a salary range of $45,000 – $50,000 per year, depending on experience. The NAGPRA Coordinator will ideally be a good listener, culturally-aware, willing to learn, and highly organized.
Duties and responsibilities of the NAGPRA Coordinator include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Helps with consultation efforts with Native American Tribes and establishes strong collaborative relationships with Tribal and campus partners;
- Prepares summary reports and edits NAGPRA reports generated by the project archaeologist and bioarchaeologist;
- Conducts in-depth cultural affiliation research and writes cultural affiliation reports;
- Aids the Director of Repatriation in drafting Notices for submission to the Federal Register;
- Maintains a strong records management schedule with frequent database updates;
- Helps rehouse ancestral human remains and NAGPRA objects in culturally sensitive ways and materials and prepares for transportation as directed;
- Collaborates with the Director to develop and maintain the budget;
- Creates orders for, coordinates deliveries, and manages supplies;
- Schedules travel and meeting opportunities;
- Manages updates to the website;
- Provides clerical support for the Director and the UTK NAGPRA Committee;
- May develop, prepare, and coordinate grant applications and grant-related activities to obtain funding for NAGPRA projects and related work;
- Other duties as assigned.
Proven understanding of the federal Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA – 25 U.S.C. §§ 3001-13) and its accompanying regulations (43 C.F.R. §§ 10.1-.17) is required. A bachelor’s degree in Anthropology, Museum Studies, Native American Studies, Historic Preservation, or other related field is required. Three years of direct experience working on NAGPRA compliance may substitute in lieu of a degree.
Preferred experience includes at least one year of experience working on NAGPRA compliance projects; at least one year of experience with working with Tribal Nations on NAGPRA consultations or other projects; basic experience with respectfully handling ancestral remains and funerary objects; at least two years of experience with the archaeology and ethnohistory of the Southeast, Midwest, and/or Northern Plains; at least two years of museums/collections management experience; and a masters’ degree in Anthropology, Museum Studies, Native American Studies, Historic Preservation, or other related field.
The NAGPRA Coordinator must possess knowledge of NAGPRA law and regulations, and demonstrate the ability to read and analyze NAGPRA documents, and interpret and implement NAGPRA policies. The position requires a solid background in office technology including knowledge of computers and software applications including Microsoft Office, Adobe, and related programs and technologies. The successful candidate must possess the ability to work and make decisions independently and to multitask effectively. Additional attributes should include excellent communication skills, strong attention to detail, a positive attitude, the ability and willingness to function as a member of a team, tact and discretion with sensitive matters, and a strong work ethic.
A small amount of travel and occasional night and weekend work may be required. Remote work is not available for this role.
Please submit a letter of interest, CV or resume, and a list of the names of three references and their contact information through the UTK Human Resources online Taleo system: https://ut.taleo.net/careersection/ut_system/jobdetail.ftl?job=21000002DN&tz=GMT-05%3A00&tzname=America%2FNew_York. Review of applications is expected to begin on January 18, 2022. Anticipated start date is April 1, 2022, although some flexibility is possible.
Categories: Job Postings