OPERATIONS MANAGER / Operations Supervisor III
Job no: 921425
Work type: Support Staff
Pay Grade: 12
Major Administrative Unit / College: University Arts And Collections
Department: Art Museum 10050506
Sub Area: APSA- Pro Supervisory
Salary: 53566.00 – 65000.00 Salary Commensurate
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Operations Services, Professional Supervisory- APSA, Full Time (90-100%), Union
The Operations Manager oversees museum operations for the MSU Broad Art Museum creating an inclusive and accessible environment for the diverse museum constituency served. Reporting to the Deputy Director, this position is responsible for the oversight of all operations that support visitors to the museum and logistics around program and events held at the museum ensuring a positive visitor experience. The operations team includes three additional full-time staff and student employees ensuring successful daily museum operation through coordination of visitor services, events, building management, retail sales, audience data and security. Regular work during weekends and evenings is required.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages facility scheduling and use of building for internal and external activities. Manages building operations in coordination of public and private events, projects, daily activities, and maintenance needs for Museum.
- Serves as Museum representative for University departments, support units and vendors to coordinate and facilitate museum operations and maintenance. Key departments include Infrastructure Planning and Facilities and Department of Police and Public Safety.
- Develops and implements processes to ensure efficient building operations.
- Ensure Museum delivers a quality experience to all visitors and users through personnel, process and facility management.
- Facilitates an inclusive, accessible, and welcoming environment for all museum visitors.
- Develops, implements, and monitors the annual building operating budget including revenue streams.
- Forecasts short- and long-term building needs in accordance with museum industry recommended best practices and manufacturer’s instructions.
- Maintains health, safety, and security standards to ensure compliance with University, State, and Federal rules and regulations, in coordination with relevant University units.
- Sustains working knowledge of museum field best practices and maintains American Alliance of Museum’s accreditation standards.
- Oversee Museum’s existing and future revenue streams including facility rental events and retail sales.
- Ensure daily operation of the Museum through staff scheduling and emergency response as needed. This position will serve as manager on duty in rotation with other operations staff.
- Maintain accurate, efficient and relevant organizational tracking procedures and reporting. Data to include but not limited to visitor information, sales information, building usage, program attendance and survey results.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Knowledge normally acquired in the first two or three years in college, technical, vocational or business school with coursework in a field related to the area of employment; three to five years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in performing tasks related to the area of employment, and may require one to three years supervisory experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to successfully interface with diverse audiences served by Museum
- Experience working in a museum
- Experience supervising students
- Understanding of technical aspects of building operations and installations
- May require valid vehicle operator’s license where needed to perform duties of the position
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter
Variable. Monday through Friday 8:30am to 5:00pm with regular evening, weekend and holiday work.
Bidding eligibility ends January 16, 2024 at 11:55 P.M.
Advertised: Jan 10, 2024 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Jan 23, 2024 Eastern Standard Time
Categories: Job Postings