Job no: 585643
Work type: Support Staff
Pay Grade: 11
Major Administrative Unit / College: Provost And Academic Affairs
Department: Art Museum 10050506
Salary: Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Administrative Professionals- AP, Union, Administrative/Business/Professional, Engineers/Architects, Labor/Service/Maintenance, Library/Museums/Archives, Operations Services, Skilled Trades
The Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum at Michigan State University is seeking an experienced Exhibition Producer to assist with the planning and execution of exhibitions and will be responsible for coordinating work as necessary to craft excellent exhibitions within spaces.
Some basic responsibilities/duties will be:
- Contribute information for the design of exhibitions, creating renderings and other designs as needed
- Contribute exhibition implementation onsite, including calling meetings as needed, directing activities on the floor, and assisting with the budget estimations
- Responsible for preparing exhibition space for installation
- Installs and strikes permanent and changing exhibitions
- Mats and frames all artwork in the permanent collection according to archival standards for methods, materials, and proper presentation
- Monitors the museum gallery environment to assure temperature and relative humidity adhere to museum standards
- Interacts with HVAC professionals to maintain air handling system
- Establishes and maintains correct lighting in the galleries, following museum guidelines for exposure of objects to amount of foot candles and type of lamp
- Monitors and maintains the appearance of exhibition spaces
- Performs minor conservation treatments
- Prepares art objects and crates for shipment and storage
- Fabricates mounts and exhibition components
- Provides preparation information to public as requested
- Provides technical lectures and demonstrations as requested
- Oversees photo documentation of exhibitions in the galleries
- Oversees and coordinates off-site storage for exhibition components
- Working with registrar, coordinates off-site storage for crates, climate control, and security of additional storage spaces for the collection.
With these responsibilities/duties we want to always ensure high-quality exhibition results, completing on time and on budget; help to ensure all stakeholders are well represented and incorporated within a strong team environment. Ensure information is regularly shared as appropriate, to keep all stakeholders moving forward.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired through completion of a four-year college degree program in studio art and/or museum studies program; five years of experience working as a preparator in a museum, gallery or foundation; planning and project management skills, including time and budget estimations; excellent organizational ability, ability to lead work teams; excellent communication skills both verbal and written; a solutions-oriented, creative problem solver and team player; ability to work with multiple, overlapping deadlines, identify priorities, organize work teams to ensure project deadlines are met. Demonstrated fine attention to detail and refined execution of work; knowledge of 20th-century art a plus.
Ability to create and read shop drawings; demonstrated competency with shop/studio facilities as well as knowledge of safety procedures related to the handling of chemical solvents and adhesives; experience with fine carpentry, metal, and plastic fabrication techniques; knowledge of advanced AV installation; knowledge of design/rendering software and advanced printers; knowledge of AR/VR planning tools; ability to learn and adhere to accounting procedures for supply procurement.
Required Application Materials
Supply a cover letter, resume, portfolio of work samples, along with 2-3 letters of recommendation.
Generally M – F 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM with some weekends. Also, beyond normal schedule during periods of installation/strike as necessary.
Description of End Date
This is an off-dated position funded for one year from date of hire with possible extension contingent upon funding renewal.
Summary of Physical Demands
Lifting and carrying of 25-75 pounds.
Bidding eligibility ends on 6/18/2019 at 11:55 PM
Advertised: Jun 12, 2019 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Jun 25, 2019 Eastern Daylight Time
Categories: Job Postings