The Museum of Contemporary Art Jacksonville (MOCA JAX), a direct support organization of the University of North Florida, seeks applicants for the position of Head Preparator.
Joining the Curatorial Team, the Preparator will execute and manage art installations and exhibition displays, including art handling, packing, design and installation. The Preparator helps develop installation calendars, and assists the Curators with exhibition design and associated renderings in preparing exhibitions. Maintains inventory of curatorial supplies, including AV, pedestals and general installation and storage supplies. Supervises installation team of up to four seasonal art installers and student assistants. Responsible for scheduling and maintaining labor pool to consistently meet needs of department throughout the season. Under supervision of the Curator, works with Registrar to develop and enforce departmental procedures relating to proper art handling methods. The Preparator will also work with the Registrar to help install and preserve the permanent collection, and maintains the art storage areas and workshops.
Generous benefits package. Salary $36,000/yr to negotiable.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- At least 4 years handling a wide range of artwork
- Knowledge of fine art packing methods, materials, and related transit
- Experience in working with artists and gallery installations,
- Good painting and carpentry skills, having familiarity with a variety of hand tools, hardware, shop equipment, ladders, lifts, and safety protocols.
- Fine motor skills, keen eyesight, and an ability to stand for long
- Lift up to 75 lbs. to waist height and up to 30 lbs. in a range of motions overhead; work on loading docks and outdoors in a variety of environmental conditions; possess the ability to work at heights
- Positive and calm demeanor, detail oriented and thorough with excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- Computer literacy, including Microsoft Office software required. Familiarity with SketchUp a plus.
- Experience working in a museum setting
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, excellent planning and organizational skills, time and project management experience.
Categories: Job Postings