The Curatorial Fellowship Program at the Harvard Art Museums is designed to broaden the experience of scholars embarking on professional careers in art history who are considering the museum profession.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Thye Curatorial Fellow, working closely with the Daimler Curator of Busch-Reisinger Museum, assists in researching and preparing interpretive materials for permanent collection installations, special exhibitions, and museum publications, including drafting and producing correspondence, loan forms, manuscripts, wall labels, and other materials.
- The Curatorial Fellow also assists with a broad range of other curatorial activities, including correspondence related to loan requests and collection inquiries, cataloging of the permanent collection in the Art Museums’ database, assistance with new acquisitions and donor cultivation, and creating social media content.
- Foregrounding the museums’ teaching and research mission, the Curatorial Fellow helps provide content expertise and support for the Art Museums’ Art Study Center by supporting classes and individual appointments of approximately six hours a week, participates in a series of art handling workshops, and contributes to a rich offering of public and academic interpretive programs across various platforms.
- The Curatorial Fellow will be an active member of the larger Art Museums Fellows’ cohort and will participate in regular cohort meetings and in the anticipated annual Fellows symposium at the end of the spring semester.
- The Curatorial Fellow may supervise students and temporary employees.
PLEASE NOTE: This position is an on-site position.
MA in Art History or related fields; applicants must be European citizens.
- PhD preferred; demonstrated interest in the art of German-speaking countries preferred
- Proficiency in German preferred
- Curatorial or related experience helpful; interest in challenging canonical narratives strongly encouraged
- Commitment to fostering the appreciation of works of art in a museum context
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills; ability to work independently as well as collaboratively as part of a team
The Harvard Art Museums are committed to equity and inclusion in its staff and to engaging with a wide range of audiences and constituents, and welcome applications from candidates of diverse backgrounds who share these interests and commitment.
Please apply online with a letter of interest and a résumé or curriculum vitae. Complete applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, starting February 15 and continuing until the position is filled.
Upon review of initial applications, successful candidates will be notified to submit two letters of recommendation. Other supporting documents may include transcripts and writing samples.
We continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 and the lifting of restrictions. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility with our interview process. We will be conducting interviews virtually for selected candidates until further notice.
Please apply online with letter and resume or curriculum vitae here.
The term of this fellowship is September 6, 2022-August 31, 2023. In addition to $50,000 annual compensation, the fellowship has an allocated travel budget and is eligible to participate in Harvard’s fringe benefits program.
Harvard requires COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Discover Harvard Art Museums and Harvard University Benefits
- A creative, high- energy, collaborative environment
- Generous Vacation, Sick, Personal, and Holiday pay
- Medical, Dental and Vision benefits starting on your first day
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Transportation benefits to help with your daily commute
- Health and wellness discounts, memberships and programs
Additional benefits can be found at https://hr.harvard.edu/totalrewards
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Categories: Job Postings