Working Title: Community and Youth Educator
UM Market Title: Academic Program Specialist (103645)
Salary Range: $40,000–$50,000
The Kelsey Museum of Archaeology at the University of Michigan seeks a full-time Community and Youth Educator to support the Museum’s varied educational activities. The Kelsey Museum is located on the central campus of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor and houses a collection of more than 100,000 ancient and medieval objects from the civilizations of the Mediterranean and the Near Eastern regions. In addition to its permanent display and a variety of special exhibitions, the museum sponsors research, archaeological fieldwork, and a wide range of visitor programs. It serves as the home of a graduate program, the Interdepartmental Program in Classical Art and Archaeology, and is closely affiliated with the university’s Museum Studies Program. The University of Michigan is a dynamic research and teaching institution and offers an excellent benefits package.
The primary duties of the Community and Youth Educator include:
- Museum Education – Plan and conduct educational tours and experiences at the museum (family days, hands-on experiences, and gallery programs).
- External Education Activities – Plan and facilitate educational activities at schools and community venues (art fairs, libraries, K-12 schools).
- Educational Resources – Develop gallery resources and hands-on experiences. Resources include interactive installations in the galleries, curriculum resources for educators including lesson plans and website materials. Develop and coordinate interpretive media strategies.
- Docent and Volunteer Coordination – Manage scheduling for tours, hands-on experiences, and museum programs. Support docent and volunteer training initiatives.
- University and Community Relations – Participate in peer committees within the university and maintain membership in applicable educational committees in the broader Ann Arbor community.
- Administration – Manage documentation of museum visitation (statistics, program evaluation), and distribute announcements and other resources in relation to public programs. Maintain and generate content for museum’s social media accounts.
The target salary range for this position is $40,000–$50,000. The actual salary offered may be higher based on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
A BA in a field related to museum studies and/or education.
Two to three years of museum experience and/or community program management.
Volunteer program management, public speaking and public relations experience skills.
MA in museum studies and/or education.
Knowledge in ancient Mediterranean art and/or archaeology.
Experience in using interactive technologies and social media in museum education.
This is a full-time position. Flexibility with schedule is required to accommodate evening and weekend events and programs.
The University of Michigan is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
Please apply at: http://careers.umich.edu/job_detail/174740/community_and_youth_educator by July 22, 2019.
Categories: Job Postings